Film in the offing?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Gwhizz

Apr 25, 2011
Belfast
Hi everyone, I'm brand new on the board and have registered because I obviously love all things Pratchett. I've been reading Wee Free Men with my children as our bedtime story and I'd read somewhere that it was going to be made into a film. Does anyone know if this is true? My wee fella is longing to see the Feegles on the big screen.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi Gwhizz! Welcome to the forum. :laugh:

I'm afraid a movie isn't looking likely at the moment. :(

This is from Wikipedia:

In January 2006, reports emerged that director Sam Raimi had signed up to make a movie based on this novel with a script by Pamela Pettler, the writer of Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. Sony Pictures Entertainment had recently acquired the rights to the book. The producers are Josh Donen, Vince Gerardis, and Ralph Vicinanza. No other details have been released about the film adaptation.

In a June 2008 interview, Pratchett said: "I saw a script that I frankly thought was awful. It seemed to be Wee Free Men in name only. It had all the hallmarks of something that had been good, and then the studio had got involved. It probably won't get made."
Sorry I can't give your wee fella any better news.

Gwhizz

Apr 25, 2011
Belfast
Thanks for that. :laugh: . Whilst I don't mind the Sky productions of the books I still think that no one has quite hit the mark with any of the transfers to screen. It took several disastrous efforts with Lord of the Rings after all before a director came along who could do justice to the stories. We live in hope though.

User Menu

Newsletter