First Children's book?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Selkie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
I can't remember the 1st book I read but I do remember my mum reading The Hobbit to my older brother and listening in too and being fascinated. I remember the 1st book my daughter realised she could read independently was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss. That was an amazing moment - she was just turned 5.

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
Can't remember the VERY first either, but it had to be one of those disney golden books. Had a bunch of those.

One book i loved though was Bringing the rain to Kapiti plain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjDW7aqqGgg

(skip to 5 minutes in. BTW i HATE that new opening :devil: )

there another one we read in school that i can't remember except the ending. about a dog and sled race and its heart explodes at the finishline. if anyone remembers let me know. feel free to put the title in spoilers if you want.

Del

Sergeant
Mar 1, 2012
The Hungry Caterpillar's heart exploded????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :crying-yellow: :crying-yellow: :crying-yellow:

I dont remember that part......

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
I;ve spent a lot of time racking my brains, only to discover it has gone out for the night and not told me. When it came in we had another go and I think, were going back to the late 50's very early 60s that it was about Mermaids. I was two years ahead of the rest of the class.

I suppose it doesn't include newspapers? 'Cos that's how I learned to read upside down by the age of three.

AuntyVague

Lance-Corporal
Nov 13, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Not sure, maybe The Cat in the Hat by Dr Seuss :think:
I do know that learning to read didn't come easily to me. I have a recollection of primary school librarians trying to entice me to read with Asterix books. They were such nice librarians I think I eventually mastered it to please them :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Harry's favourites are as follows if it helps Dave -
Chu's Day by Neil Gaiman.
Aliens love Underpants
Dinosaurs love Underpants
The Gruffalo

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
The gruffalo is great to read to a child. Its got a nice sing song style in how its written and you can play with the voices

Tenneba

Apr 15, 2014
I started reading before I was even in Kindergarten, so not sure what the first would have been. I remember being forced to read "Dick, Jane, and Sally" books, which are the worst! I wanted to bean the author for thinking so little of us. My grandmother was from Scotland and had a number of UK children's books that I read. One I can remember the image of the little girl very well, but not a thing about the story--only that I wished that I had such lovely, smooth hair as she had! I remember liking Toby Tyler books...and The Boxcar Children, and the Little Golden Books, which included things like "The Little Engine that Could," "The Saggy, Baggy Elephant" and "The Pokey Little Puppy." Not sure when I ran into Dr. Seuss, but I liked his humor.

User Menu

Newsletter