First Contact

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yep, and had I been aware of De Lancre I'd have likely thought the same.
For some reason that eludes me, I always thought it was meant to be a Swiss sounding name but with no real inspiration.

The first time I met Terry was at a book signing for Wintersmith in Borders. The cue was miles long and I wasn't very close to the front when it started moving. After some considerable time (which was spent not thinking about running water), I started to get closer. I had thought of a question I wanted to ask, but by the time I got to him I had decided it was unfair to tax his time considering the long day he was likely to have still ahead of him (nothing what-so-ever to do with the fact that I had to climb down 3 flights of steps and cue up and pay for my book before I would be allowed to use the toilet). So, I simply said "'nk you." and moved on.

I can't even remember the question now, so I probably just wanted to be a smart arse or something. I think it was a personal question, regarding changes in his faith since he started the Discworld series. Sometimes I get the impression he pities the gods despite or possible because of their ignorance.

I think if I met him again I would ask one he's probably more accustomed to hearing, like 'What Discworld character do you most relate to?'.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jinx said:
Yep, and had I been aware of De Lancre I'd have likely thought the same.
For some reason that eludes me, I always thought it was meant to be a Swiss sounding name but with no real inspiration.
The Lancre Army Knife perhaps? ;)

I met him in 1997, when he had a book signing in our town...well, it was quite simple - I had been standing in a terrible queue, then I gave him "Stráže!Stráže!" (Guards!Guards!) and "Soudné sestry" (Wyrd Sisters), spelled out my name for him, said "Thank you very much" and went home. :laugh:

RACKU

Lance-Constable
Aug 15, 2008
Australia
Oh dear D: You all are remarkably lucky to have met him. What are you to do when you live in a smallish (uh, biggest inland) city, that which being in Australia?
Damnation to you all =P

BlackAssassin

Lance-Constable
Jul 30, 2008
Perth, Australia
Nausica said:
RACKU said:
Oh dear D: You all are remarkably lucky to have met him. What are you to do when you live in a smallish (uh, biggest inland) city, that which being in Australia?
Damnation to you all =P
He did a book-signing tour here a couple years ago, he might well do another. :laugh:
... and I was there!!! my hubby was sick in bed with the flu so I went and lined up for 4 hours in front of Dymocks book shop in Perth and waited and waited and waited and then when I got to the front I told him I had bought the book for my hubby for his bday and that he was in bed sick with the flu so he signed the book for him.

I think If I had another chance I would ask him if he has his potato with him....

Ally
xxox

Aug 20, 2008
Manchester
The first time was at a signing in Manchester in 1987. This was the only signing I have been to where Terry has had time to do a reading answer questions and then do the signing.
My friend and I were stood there waiting for it to start, when a voice behind us asked what we were waiting for? My friend turned round and answered "We're waiting for some guy to get up on stage and say something funny" it was only after the bemused questioner had walked away did I have the courage to show my friend Terry's picture on the dust cover so that he knew who he had answered too. Unfortunatly we had to leave before we could get to the front of the signing queue as we had tickets to a gig on the same night.
At the second signing Terry asked me if we had met before, I didn't have the courage to say about the previous meeting so went and re-joined the queue when I got to the front I answered "Yes". :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:laugh: Great story!

I heard of a story where Terry turned up to do a signing and the security people, who didn't know him, made him go to the end of the queue - so he did. :laugh:

RACKU

Lance-Constable
Aug 15, 2008
Australia
Jinx said:
RACKU said:
Damnation to you all =P
Travel. How close is the DWCon in Austrailia to you?
http://snowgumfilms.com/runrincewindrun/ <- You reminded me of this entertaining film.
The one in Melbourne? Half way across the country, sadly. The one in Perth was on the other side of the continent, and basically, I was stranded in South East Queensland, mumbling to myself :) I guess I can wait. Or board myself on a plane to England in a suit case and hopefully end up in the next convention..
We'll see! ;)

BlackAssassin, lucky ducks to you! Poor hubby of yours to be sick on his birthday ); That's no fun at all.

iot was the thud signing (some of ye know this story already) and I had a folio edition of the unadulterated cat (small hardback which was quite pricey) which I whipped out of an indside pocket andsaid to him "would you mind signing this as well".

I did sunsequently get to ask him (at the 06 con) if he'd like briggsy to play lord vetinari and it started the two of them off on a little back and forth :oops: I'm quite proud of that one, sunsequent meetings have been "can I beg your indulgence for a momnent" to whic yhe replied "you can commiut adultery as often as you like :eek: ".

that's most of my encounters so far, sorry to digress and put in multipelk encouters, 'tis the way thigns go with me and fandom.
Phaze
on the "was gonna go for a walk but the weather has turned even nastier and ther are limits to what I will walk in, even on a lazy sunday afternoon" ID

User Menu

Newsletter