First Records You Bought

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
The first record I ever bought was 'Bobby Vee's greatest hits'. It cost 15 shillings and I had to beg an advance on my pocket money to get it. Played it to death almost.
The first single was the Rolling Stones cover of Chuck Berry's 'Come on'.

Morty said:
poohcarrot said:
Mortimer Postlethwaite said:
I wasn't feeling myself when I wrote that post.
Ah! You do know the meaning of "Turning Japanese!" :laugh:
Waking up in cold, wet, rainy and tonight freezing Manchester for over half a century only leads me to think that I have got all so wrong and you have it oh so right. You’re a lucky Guy Pooh :cry:
I used to like that song until some ass told me that every song ever written , in most peoples minds, pertains to sex. Or, that he and a bunch of other pervs spent inordinate amounts of time forcing any song to be an inuendo by finding things that they could force into a sexual context. NAY, I say that songs of peace and not killing each other and innocent songs DO EXIST!!!!!

And

Lance-Corporal
Dec 27, 2009
NE England.
janet said:
The first record I ever bought was 'Bobby Vee's greatest hits'. It cost 15 shillings and I had to beg an advance on my pocket money to get it. Played it to death almost.
The first single was the Rolling Stones cover of Chuck Berry's 'Come on'.
My mother went spectacularly Librariandroppings when my sister scratched "I Love B. Vee" on the footboard at the end of her bed. At the same time, my favourite record was "Rubber Ball" (I was quite small).

I used to listen to all my bro and sis's records, but the first one I bought was Don McLean's Vincent. I'm fairly certain the first album I bought was Max Boyce Live At Treorchy.

To restore some street cred....

My brother was a huge West Coast fan so I listened to the Doors, Janis Joplin, Love, Country Joe and the Fish, Moby Grape...

My sister was a massive Motown/soul fan - Temptations, Four Tops, Percy Sledge, Oscar Toney Jr, Dusty...

Both liked the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Simon & Garfunkel...

AgnesOgg

Lance-Corporal
Jun 10, 2009
Bergen, Norway
The first record I bougth was "Over the Hill and Far Away" with Gary Moore :laugh: I was thirteen or fourteen and it was the most romantic and tragic song I had ever heard....until Jon English and "Six Ribbons". Against All Winds was very big in Norway! :laugh:

This was the first record I ever bought with my own money. A little while later, I bought my first album (on cassette, I hated the way vinyl got scratched so easily) "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden, the album which contained the previously linked song. Looking back now, youthful exuberance is the only justification I can give. ;)

Grymm

Constable
Dec 4, 2009
Chilterns
Ooooh first single Kate Bush, Wuthering Heights, I saw it on TOTP and it left me gobsmacked and in love. Kate doing all that wriggling had quite an effect on a 14yr old me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqV65Vw7U9Q
And first album If You Want Blood by AC/DC which I then managed to get confiscated for annoying the pooh out of my parents by playing Whole Lotta Rosie over and over again at earbleed volumes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsFIftPcvIs

My Dad brought me some headphones the next weekend and gave them to me and my AC/DC back as well as his copies of Aftermath (Stones), My Generation(Who), Autumn Stone(Small Faces), A Nod Is as Good as a Wink... to a Blind Horse(Faces), Sheer Heart Attack(Queen) and an album on the old red and yellow R&B label called Best of the Blues vol2 with Buddy Guy, Howling Wolf, Elmore James..... with the instructions "Look after them, give'em to your kids when it's time and don't tell your Mother"

Grymm

Constable
Dec 4, 2009
Chilterns
My eldest is 11 and I update his ipod about once a month, the vinyl is still safe waiting for the time I think that he or his brothers won't trash them.
I'm also waiting for those usb turntables to drop a bit in price as it's a one shot thing really, once you've converted your vinyl then you don't need them again, or wait 'til one shows up in cash converters.
And Mum didn't find out 'til last summer when Dad asked to borrow The Faces back.

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
Morty said:
I thought this was for singles :oops:
My first LP was Please Please Me by The Beatles in 1963 :laugh:

And in Sterio as well 8)
My parents have the original mono version. I understand that it might be worth quite a lot of money.

My first record was an LP. Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. The title track is still amazing nearly 25 years later.

manicmama

Apr 24, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
The first single I owned was Monster Mash, by Bobby Pickett and the Crypt Kickers (love that name), but the first one I paid for myself was Crazy Horses, by the Osmonds. Can't remember first LP, but I think it was probably Rolled Gold, which was a greatest hits thing from the Stones. My taste never got much better, kind of a personal revolt against having cool older sisters and brother.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
The first single I bought was All Shook Up - Elvis Presley, it was a 78rpm too, should have kept it, it would be worth a bit now. LOL

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
Tiffany,

So many of the "first" things we pick up would be worth money if we kept them in pristine condition but then we also would not have experienced or enjoyed them.

As much as I love to see what people have collected. There is something wonderful about a worn book that is aged and read to the point of falling apart, it proves that it's been consumed and well loved.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Fizz, you are right, things should be, listened to, used, read or played with, whatever they are.
A friend asked my advice, she wanted to buy her daughter a very expensive limited edition Barbie doll, I said to her if she could afford to buy two, get two, one for the child to play with & enjoy & love, the other to keep in mint condition in it's box. She has done that. The child when grown up may have a valuable doll as a legacy. Years ago we didn't think of things given to us as being collectable.

May 5, 2010
first cassette was "No Parlez" from Paul Young. I was 12 back then in 1985. When my player had eaten the tape, my mom had to fix tape by ironing it straight. Did work out in general, but from then, there were some empty spaces within some songs.

unfortunately I really can't remember the first vinyl record

the first cd was Barclay James Harvest "face to face" was on a Wednesday in 1989, did cost me approx. 16£

User Menu

Newsletter