For fans of Douglas Adams: was the answer really 42

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. *shrug* The Guarniad's article doesn't reveal much that's new. Yes, Dougie was perennially -- almost infamously -- late with his scripts, because he was a perfectionist. Many writers are. (I know I am -- and I have weekly submissions to make for critique, which I always struggle with!! That's why I'm here procrastinating instead of writing!!) :p

Seriously, I was always given to understand that "six times nine = 42" was because the universe doesn't make sense and isn't supposed to. Ford even says as much to Arthur. :)

Clem Peppermint

Lance-Constable
Jun 11, 2024
Australia
Well, in the paragraphs following the announcement of the ultimate Answer, Deep Thought says that 'The problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is'. This implies that the Question wasn't asked properly, which would have given a completely different (and possibly worded) Answer! So, would the Answer be declared void? It really depends how you look at it :) However, as RathDarkblade says, it could be purely nonsensical and I'm all here for it! It's an iconic part of the book that I wouldn't change, but it does pose an interesting discussion :)

User Menu

Newsletter