Game -> Movie = bad

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
I hope certain people, who will remain unmentioned, are not implying that just because Angelina Jolie was a hot sexy babe with attitude, who carried a gun, rode a motorbike and bounced provocitively in slow motion had anything to do with my enjoyment of Tomb Raider. :eek:

Bickaxe

Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Newport
poohcarrot said:
I hope certain people, who will remain unmentioned, are not implying that just because Angelina Jolie was a hot sexy babe with attitude, who carried a gun, rode a motorbike and bounced provocitively in slow motion had anything to do with my enjoyment of Tomb Raider. :eek:
It didn't? Those are the only reasons I liked it. Best scene was the diving suit at the start of the 2nd one. :twisted:

The problem, I think, is best summarised by Yahtzee, the gaming journalist.
Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw said:
While a movie just has to keep an audience entertained for an hour or two, a videogsme has to stand up to at least twelve hours of people like me overturning every stone in search of faults.
Any reasonable game that attracts attention enough to be made into a movie will have one fault: It will have sacrificed storytelling for gameplay, and struggles to stand up when there is suddenly no gameplay to lean on. If they aren't already fan-oriented or totally stupid, their apparent shallowness will not make a good movie.

This is probably why the Tomb Raider and Resident Evil films are even fractionally successful: They filled in gaps in the story with jaw-dropping action.

Having said that, it may just be a transition problem. After all, games made from movies tend to be truly awful. However, this is usually because the way development has to be rushed to meet the release of the movie.

Wow, am I a bore or what?

User Menu

Newsletter