Gayes or Gaze

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Angels one five

Lance-Constable
Dec 27, 2021
Apologies if this has arisen previously, I did my usual Hal hearted search through acres of posts…
Just finished reading Marc Burrow’s The Magic of.. and was thinking of a trip doon sooth to visit some/all of the places mentioned, a pratchtour as it were.
googling to see where some of these places actually are ( 7 hours south!) I stumbled across articles on STP’s original cottage on the market last year. There was even a local BBC article on it but this has a picture of the cottage’s name plaque Gaze Cottage, Marc refers to it as Gayes. Has it been subtly renamed does anyone know or any reason for the two spellings?
Mind how you go!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It would be my guess that Marc renamed it to pay homage in a way that Terry himself would have done. Like when Terry names Swindon, where much of railway history started, as "Swinetown" in Raising Steam. That plus the fact that the origins of the name Swindon, were that it may have originally been translated from "Swine Town". :)

Angels one five

Lance-Constable
Dec 27, 2021
It would be my guess that Marc renamed it to pay homage in a way that Terry himself would have done. Like when Terry names Swindon, where much of railway history started, as "Swinetown" in Raising Steam. That plus the fact that the origins of the name Swindon, were that it may have originally been translated from "Swine Town". :)
Nice thought! Thank you

Angels one five

Lance-Constable
Dec 27, 2021
Hmmm
Am more confused about Gaze or Gayes. Rob continually refers to it as Gaze throughout a life with footnotes. One of the pictures in the book is of a video club membership card, looks like in STP’s handwriting, clearly stating his address as Gayes Cottage.

Angels one five

Lance-Constable
Dec 27, 2021
Was listening to the TTSMYF podcast tonight with Marc Burrows and he noted he’s got the spelling of Gaze wrong. That leaves the video club card possibly written certainly signed by Terry and the estate Agent’s schedule for the “cottage”- have you seen the size of it!- referring to Gayes. Both of which one would of thought wouldn’t get the name wrong but hey ho there we go…

User Menu

Newsletter