Going Postal

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RACKU

Lance-Constable
Aug 15, 2008
Australia
Wow, I actually loved this one :laugh:
But..is anyone out there a bit lost with the ending? x-x
Because you don't actually get to see about the building being put up or anything..it just sort of blatantly ended. Which made me kinda upset, because it was so awesome.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I don't think you need to actually see the building being rebuilt. The money is there for the rebuild and in the meantime the post office people are using what space is available. I'm not being specific as I don't want to give spoilers.

Safe to say that the post office is safe by the end of the book. :)

I think it´s the same as the great fire of Ankh-Morpork in COM. You also don´t see the actual reconstruction of city, TP only writes in LF:

'I said okay,' said Twoflower. 'I'd quite like to see Ankh-Morpork again. I expect they've rebuilt quite a lot of it by now.'
It should be noted that the last time the two of them had seen the city it was burning quite fiercely, a fact which had a lot to do with Twoflower introducing the concept of fire insurance to a venial but ignorant populace. But devastating fires were a regular feature of Morporkian life and it had always been cheerfully and meticulously rebuilt, using the traditional local materials of tinder-dry wood and thatch waterproofed with tar.

;) But of course I am sure that tinder-dry wood and thatch waterproofed with tar weren´t used on the Post Office.

Popcap

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2008
Sweden
i was always a little annoyed that you continously were told that moist was this extremely perfect connman... and he.. well imo he didnt used his skills very much

sure he started a new life but, then whats the point of being a really good lier and deceiver if you dont deceive very much

baruch menachem

Lance-Constable
Mar 26, 2009
I really enjoyed how he got that dinner reservation.

And the message recieved at Genua was classic.

One thing that totally flew over my head was the meaning of what Gilt's parrott kept saying. Can anyone explain the significance of that?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
baruch menachem said:
I really enjoyed how he got that dinner reservation.

And the message recieved at Genua was classic.

One thing that totally flew over my head was the meaning of what Gilt's parrott kept saying. Can anyone explain the significance of that?
Indeed - twelve and a half percent is an eighth - therefore the parrot is saying (just like the parrot in Treasure Island) Pieces of eight! Further proof that Gilt is a pirate. :laugh:

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter