Good Omens promotions

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The promotion for the miniseries of Good Omens is becoming overwhelming.
There is to be a two-days-only (June 1 and 2) copy of Aziraphale's bookshop several storeys high, full of thousands of real books,
and interiors from the show have been recreated, and photos posted online. I like the detail work. The glimpse into another room, with one odd-shaped bottle on a lower shelf of a table, makes me want to see what else is in there. The ceiling is interesting, too.

https://lonelyplanetwpnews.imgix.net/2019/05/Good-Omens-6.jpg
https://lonelyplanetwpnews.imgix.net/2019/05/Good-Omen-1.jpg

I can't say I care for the other side's decor, though:

https://lonelyplanetwpnews.imgix.net/2019/05/Good-Omens-2.jpg

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
The globe on the top shelf looks a little like an old-fashioned football (?). I like the old-fashioned Victrola (I think?) and the upright grandfather clock. But, Tony ... it's difficult to make out anything on Aziraphale's bookshelf. All I can make out from the book-spines are the words "HADI", "ADID", "HAD", and "HADID" - and, intriguingly, two green books, both with the word "WOMEN". *shrug* I wouldn't presume to know what any of it means.

The decor for the "other side" (i.e. the grimy room) is a little more revealing. (I presume this is Crowley's bathroom?) I like the posters on the wall very much. I just made out what the bottom left-hand poster on the right-hand wall says: "This office has been 3 days without anyone saying the road to Hell is paved with good intentions". *LOL*

I can't make out the poster above it, though...

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
All I can make out from the book-spines are the words "HADI", "ADID", "HAD", and "HADID" - and, intriguingly, two green books, both with the word "WOMEN". *shrug* I wouldn't presume to know what any of it means
I can't make out any others either. Web searching tells me that ADI means, among many other things, Area of Dominant Influence. Hadid and Hadi are names found in Arab countries.

I do see more interesting bottles on top of a bookcase, and some statuettes of Egyptian gods.
That ceiling light doesn't look like a bulb. I'm pretty sure it's intended to be the full moon shining amid clouds. For natural light. I suppose it might be the sun.

The decor for the "other side" (i.e. the grimy room) is a little more revealing. (I presume this is Crowley's bathroom?)]
I'm pretty sure that's Hell. Some of the online commentary indicates that Heaven is the penthouse offices of a single building in which Hell is in the basement. Crowley's apartment is magically tidy, with lush, healthy, terrified plants.

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
That's Hell? *surprised* Well, it's grimy enough, and there's no floor - but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as unpleasant as some of us have been led to believe... ;)

Besides, I thought Hell was the M5. Or was it simply one of Crowley's proudest achievements? It's been a while since I read the book.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
That's Hell? *surprised* Well, it's grimy enough, and there's no floor - but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as unpleasant as some of us have been led to believe... ;)

Besides, I thought Hell was the M5. Or was it simply one of Crowley's proudest achievements? It's been a while since I read the book.
It's the M25 Rath the ring road the surrounds London, and it can be a bit of a nightmare, there are quite a lot of pile ups, and the congestion is really bad in places in the rush hours.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The M25 was one of Crowley's proudest achievements. It was shaped like a demonic sigil, and even after months of bribing people, he had to go out one night and move a few stakes personally to shape it to make it magical.

P.S. The upper poster on the right-side wall seems to start with something about Efficient Service but I can't make out the rest.

Last edited:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Catch -up it's in Greek Street, which runs parallel to Charring Cross Road London .
Number 17 Greek Street, to be precise. They took a plain white shop and painted it and moved in all the furniture and books and stuff - all for a two-day event, June 1 and 2.
Probably the contract requires that it be repainted white again. If it doesn't, I could see the owners making a few quid after the fact.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
It's the M25 Rath the ring road the surrounds London, and it can be a bit of a nightmare, there are quite a lot of pile ups, and the congestion is really bad in places in the rush hours.
Whoops! My mistake. :) Well, I don't usually go driving in the UK. Alas, my knowledge of motorways in the UK extends only to this quote from "Yes Minister":

(Hacker and Bernard are on their way to a High Table Dinner in Oxford University.)

Jim Hacker: How much further to Oxford?

Bernard: Not long. This M40 is a very good road.

Jim Hacker: So is the M4. I wonder why we got two really good roads to Oxford, before we got any to Southampton, Dover or Lowestoft or any of the ports?

Bernard: Well, Nearly all our Permanent Secretaries went to Oxford, Minister. And most Oxford Colleges give very good dinners.

Jim Hacker: And the Cabinet let them get away with it?

Bernard: Certainly not, they put their foot down. They said no motorway to take civil servants to dinners in Oxford, unless there was a motorway to take Cabinet Ministers hunting in the Shires. That's why when the M1 was built in the fifties it stopped in the middle of Leicestershire.

Jim Hacker: Oh, come on Bernard!

Bernard: It's true.

Jim Hacker: Well what about the M11? That’s only just been completed. Don’t Cambridge colleges give good dinners too?

Bernard: Oh yes, of course. But it’s years and years since the Department of Transport have had a permanent secretary from Cambridge.
I wonder how much truth there is in that! :) Any ideas?

User Menu

Newsletter