Good Omens.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

ColinEdwards

Lance-Constable
Aug 3, 2008
Norfolk/Suffolk border
I should have said that the original owner had died in a motorcycle accident and their family had donated his whole Discworld collection to the charity - books, Clarecraft and Artificer pieces.

I know the major charity shops have become more media savvy recently and will sell recognised collectables on auction sites themselves.

Foul ole Ron

Lance-Constable
Jun 5, 2009
Re: Good omens

lance-constable rose said:
I absolutely love this book apart from the fact I like almost anything by Neil Gaiman (except stardust I felt it read slightly wishy washy, not at all up to his normal standards) it was the first book to introduce me to Terry Pratchett, I think one of my favourite characters in the book apart from Crowley is DOG it's the mutt of hell :devil:
Good Omens introduced me to Terry Pratchett too.

Big Neil Gaiman fan as well.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
ColinEdwards said:
Did anyone see on television (Mary, Queen of Charity Shops) - tucked into a box of 'unwanted' donations - the white cover hardback edition of Good Omens? I wonder if it got thrown out? It just goes to show that one person's recycling is someone else's treasure.

About five years ago there were several Clarecraft discworld figures including DW70 the big Great Atuin piece being sold for bargain prices in a Norwich charity shop. The shop staff couldn't understand why they were so popular, none had heard of Terry, yet he had been at a booksigning in the same street only a few months earlier!
Some charity shops are getting savvy to eBay and making quite a bit for their charities by selling collectables and rare books. But, of course, they have to know that what they've got is valuable in the first place.

I enjoyed the book quite a lot. It was my sister's Fiancee's introduction to TP. His fave line was about how Crowley "Didn't fall from Heaven as much as slowly crawled his way down" ... at least I think that is pretty close to the line. :mutters to self about cleaning this mess of a log cabin up.:

I think the chapter where he is driving down the M-2? with fire coming from the wheels since they had lost the rubber along the way, the picture is in my head, even if the exact words elude me. Too funny! I remember the car falling apart as he finally stopped at the military facility. :laugh: :twisted:

superfurryandy

Lance-Corporal
Apr 29, 2009
Ena's Feld
I luvs the alien polis...

"Is this your planet, sir?" :laugh:

Oh, and Crowley sauntered, if memory serves ;)

EDIT: from the DRAMATIS PERSONAE - "An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards" :laugh:

superfurryandy said:
I luvs the alien polis...

"Is this your planet, sir?" :laugh:

Oh, and Crowley sauntered, if memory serves ;)

EDIT: from the DRAMATIS PERSONAE - "An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards" :laugh:
WOOT! Give That Man His Choice of Fave Beverage!! Now I will be able to remember it. TY TY!

Aug 4, 2008
West Yorkshire
Gillingham did get his hands onto this fabulous book but every year there was a reason he didn't make the film. Thankfully, after all these wasted years TP has it back in his hands and he was dropping hints about it being made a few years ago when he got it back but I haven't heard a word about this since.

This report was in 2002 http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/gofact.htm

Does anybody know what happened to the big production of Wee Free Men that was being made in the US. The film was cast and ready to start being filmed but along came all the strikes and again I haven't heard any more about it.

The cast has now vanished from this 2006 site http://www.themovieinsider.com/m3264/wee-free-men/

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Imaginary casting convo -

:devil: Production Companyman: Hey don't get us wrong! We think the Death character is a right-on guy - which is why we're currently in negotiation with Mr. Gibson's people...

8) TP PR guy: Wow! Hey that's wonderful! Mel with the Ultimate Lethal Weapon - love it! Inspired! Sorry I'm interrupting... what were you saying about the wardrobe problems?

:devil: : We're getting feedback from Mr. Gibson's agent - he's a devout catholic y'know and there is a slight problem with the cloak - it's far to dark for a character who they think is more angel than a creature of nightmares... Plus Mel doesn't do black much as you may have noticed - well not so much since Hamlet anyway...

8) : Oh... but I loved him in Hamlet! And in Braveheart. Weeeell we don't have to be married to the black - how about a nice midnight blue? Deep purple? Hey! What about a nice wicked deep blood red!??

:devil: : No! No!! No!!! No dark colors and especially no red!

8) : No red? Why ever not - Mel'd look gorgeous in red - how about a nice burgundy then? What???

:devil: : *apoplectic* Are you kidding!! The guy's a nightmare when he's on the sauce! Watch my lips - no alcohol whatsoever OK!

8) : *going a bright Rioja colour* OK! OK!! I get the point... - but I meant the colour! Like erm... clar... umm... maroon

:devil: : No red, man! Capisch? Oy! No color at all - he wants white OK!? *wheedles* So when he does the thing with the blade it's gonna look wunnnnnderful with all the gore and blood see? Plus it'll look really cute if it gets cut up a bit and the wimmin get little glimpses of the pecs and the malibu tanned face when he tosses the hood back and does that thing with his curls swaying - FAB! I can really see this, man - he'll get that big box office pull back again...

8) : *shaking head and looking puzzled* But the scythe doesn't go anyway near people's bodies - it cuts the soul away from the body... *looks even more confused* And as for white and tossing hoods back - he's gonna be masked up so you won't get the dramatic contrast between the ivory of the skull and the cloak - and there can't be any tan. Gods I hate talking to these LA movie airheads

:devil: : *goes white with fury* Hey! You think we're puttin' Mel Gibson in a MASK you know-it-all g*ddamn pansy - he's a farm hand ... for the love of Pete - save me from smartarse Brits!

8) : *back to the Rioja...* He's a bloody skeleton for f*cks sake! And anyway the actual character's features are CGI surely - and so's the action sequences! Mel's just doing the f*cking voice-sync surely?

:devil: : *so angry he's hissing* Hey! This is a class production - *dripping venom* buddy And anyway Disney has an unbreakable contract on his voice talents. What the hell d'you mean Death's a skeleton - he's like a noble warrior! A ronin! An Action Hero you dumbass!

8) : ........... F*cking hell! He's the Grim Reaper you moron - not a f*cking combine harvester driver...

and so on :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter