SPOILERS Guards! Guards! Discussion Group *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Cheery said:
You know, I was very surprised when Errol wandered (or flew) off with the big dragon. I never would've expected that. :eek:

As for Vimes and Sybil: That one was obvious, really.
Don't you think there was a sort of connection between them all? A big nobel female and a scruffy runt of a male getting together. :laugh:

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Tonyblack said:
Cheery said:
You know, I was very surprised when Errol wandered (or flew) off with the big dragon. I never would've expected that. :eek:

Don't you think there was a sort of connection between them all? A big nobel female and a scruffy runt of a male getting together. :laugh:
I guess that's the reason it's so obvious. :laugh:
As it is: I think they're an adorable couple

Tonyblack said:
Cheery said:

Like a double entendre on porpoise? :laugh:

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
One thing I don't understand is this;

On page 21 (paperback) in the footnote about "Eye-watering words" it says a "gaskin" is a "shy, grey-brown bird of the coot family".

Yet 3 pages later it says the Guard who died was called "Gaskin".

Now, it's a million to one chance that it's purely co-incidental, so why are there two "Gaskins"?

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
There are references to "poor, old Gaskin" through the book.
He was old (never showed in Night Watch, though) and that made him a "coot" and he was definitely close to the ground after he got caught. Err --caught up, I mean.

I did not love this book the first few times I read it. Then my daughter got hold of it and was laughing out loud, reading passages to me with inflections I had not paid attention to. Now, I love it.

Carrot is the catalyst between the old and new Ankh-Morporks (just as Sybil's swamp dragons have diminished in their glory, so has AM). He embodies the spirit of the "old" AM and its future, politically and socially. V&V both know this.

Carrot professes no interest in either his birthmark or his sword, but he does nothing to negate Vetinari's surmise.

True, his character can be wooden and old-fashioned, but Carrot's job is to be all things to all men. He can be a dwarf and a human, both, just as he can be a king and a copper. Titles don't matter, getting the job done matters.

I think Carrot has more in common with Vetinari than we may believe.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Trish said:
He was old (never showed in Night Watch, though) and that made him a "coot" and he was definitely close to the ground after he got caught. Err --caught up, I mean.
Utter twaddle! :laugh:

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
I didn't like the inital physical characteristics of the characters, particularly Carrot and Lady Ramkin.

Why did they both need to be described, repeatedly, as being so large?

I'm also glad that Pratchett stopped making references to Ramkin's wigs. Having her be bald just didn't seem to add anything to the story for me. it also made me wonder why any of the high-society women involved would want to raise dragons.

Women: would any of you want to raise a pet that burns holes in your floors & clothes, smells like a tannery, causes hair-loss, and might explode at any time?

MattK

Lance-Corporal
Jul 2, 2009
Lancaster, PA
blog.mattkeen.com
kakaze said:
I didn't like the inital physical characteristics of the characters, particularly Carrot and Lady Ramkin.

Perhaps to mirror their importance in helping Vimes realize that he's a better man than he has convinced himself he is?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Trish said:
Actually (and this isn't really a spoiler) there is a "Leggy" Gaskin in Night Watch. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
kakaze said:

I'm also glad that Pratchett stopped making references to Ramkin's wigs. Having her be bald just didn't seem to add anything to the story for me. it also made me wonder why any of the high-society women involved would want to raise dragons.

Women: would any of you want to raise a pet that burns holes in your floors & clothes, smells like a tannery, causes hair-loss, and might explode at any time?
Hmmm? :p I'm wondering here whether you're a younger man than I thought Kakaze... You may have overlooked some important womanly attributes - and for once I think pooh may actually back me up with (some) of this...

Women are not logical for one thing - not with affairs of the hearts anyway and with animals in particular. Sybil is a stereotype built around a British posh aristocratic country lady - rather like the Queen in fact. She's not too pretty, not in the first flush, not too rich but rich enough for the things that interest her and, having been a bit of a failure in the romance stakes has been 'mad' about ponies and dogs all her life - Sybils the AM version and so it's swamp dragons with her but the comparison sticks. And this sort of Lady is a sucker for lost causes and loves to lavish their pent up affections on the underdragon... :p

She's the sort of woman who's completely disinterested in her own appearance 'cos nobody's ever bothered with her when she has tried to pull out all the stops, so she doesn't care that her hair's so constantly singed, she just wears a wig when she 'needs' to - which isn't very often. Clothes the same, no interest whatsoever, because they've never done her any good and all they have to do now is be low maintenance and offer some protection from her anxious mothering to her child substitutes, the swamp dragons

Have you ever seen the French & Saunders 'posh old country ladies' sketches? They're the Roundworld Sybils :laugh:

As for the large people aspect - both Sybil and Carrot (for whom I adhere to the brilliant in this book, boring as **** after that faction) both have unconscious charisma, which is of course the most compelling kind. Part of that is bound up in their physicality - they almost have to be big and beefy and imposing to achieve their 'presence'. Sybil works better than Carrot because she's much more flexible and human in her enthusiasms (she transfers her compassion for the dragons to Vimes and even to Nobby because she's sensitive to their nature and sees the good in them - well in Sam anyway ;) ). Carrot's the same but less specific, 'cos he's cast into the noble knight mould but not in a personal way so much and that's why he's less interesting as a character later on when he's no longer the new cop in town...

As a small (in height) person - I can tell you that height matters. Someone who towers over you can be physically scary at times, but with these two they're kind and protective and this is both endearing and awe-inspiring - Terry's just giving them the bodies to go with their differing kinds of charisma - maybe over-doing the emphasis a bit but for a reason :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Jan Van Quirm said:
She's the sort of woman who's completely disinterested in her own appearance 'cos nobody's ever bothered with her when she has tried to pull out all the stops, so she doesn't care that her hair's so constantly singed, she just wears a wig when she 'needs' to - which isn't very often. Clothes the same, no interest whatsoever, because they've never done her any good and all they have to do now is be low maintenance and offer some protection from her anxious mothering to her child substitutes, the swamp dragons

Have you ever seen the French & Saunders 'posh old country ladies' sketches? They're the Roundworld Sybils :laugh:
But I don't think he did describe them like the posh old country ladies though, she does seem to turn into this later - more strapping than fat. And its definitely implied that she's bald, rather than just singed. I think Terry did her an injustice in GG, but it got rectified afterwards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Jan Van Quirm said:
Women are not logical for one thing - not with affairs of the hearts anyway and with animals in particular.
I agree with the second part of that sentence at least, although it doesn't apply to all women - my rabbits would stink the house out, therefore they live outside. I know some people who keep rabbits indoors, but a) their house smells like wee but they just don't seem to be able to smell it, and b) stuff gets eaten, like carpets, furniture, clothing etc. Even though dragons are stinkier still, there would be some people who wouldn't seem to notice.

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
kakaze said:
I didn't like the inital physical characteristics of... Carrot and Lady Ramkin. Why did they both need to be described, repeatedly, as being so large?
Because they are both larger than life.

Carrot really is good, kind and noble. He really does care about everyone.

Sybil is portrayed as large because she embodies (I like that word this week) all the qualities that Vimes has never found in a woman --save his mother. Secondarily, her size indicates the "height" of the upper class; a height Vimes could never hope to scale and has always been in awe of.

Sybil gives her love particularly, while Carrot gives his indiscriminately.

kakaze said:
Well, no. But I have 2 cats. I hate cats. They shed, they throw up, they get into everything (Tibby got behind the bathrub yesterday and had a good time playing with the pipes and cobwebs), they poop every 4 minutes, they cry when you don't feed them the "right" canned cat food, they can catch all sorts of diseases from feline HIV to leukemia.

But what are you supposed to do?

Both cats were found. Kitty came from the junkyard and Tibby was loose on the street in front of my daughter's school. Are you supposed to just let them starve when the reason they're out there is some dumb human?

The parallel is not necessarily "women & pets," but people who take in and take care of abandoned things.
Sir Terry is a cat-lover (they grow on you. Sort of.) and has had a few found cats.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Dotsie said:
Jan Van Quirm said:

But I don't think he did describe them like the posh old country ladies though, she does seem to turn into this later - more strapping than fat. And its definitely implied that she's bald, rather than just singed. I think Terry did her an injustice in GG, but it got rectified afterwards.
I was thinking more of the bit where Sybil's croney's for the Sunshine Sanctuary meeting - ever see old lady dog-breeders at an Agricultural show or Cruft's even? :laugh: They're just as batty about animals but don't need the armour of course - and just look at the downright ugly little mutts they shower all their attention on? That kind of devotion and eccentricity works in either case ;)

As for the hair - I suspect she probably shaved it off to save the bother of trying to cut around the singes and burns all the time "stuff and nonsense - doesn't hurt at all!" (extemporised from F&S) :p

And the stinky animals - the nose is a very resilient sensory organ if you give it half a chance and half an hour very often. Is why room fresheners are really a con - after a bit you don't notice anything odd about the pong and when you love the smelly little pets it doesn't matter in the slightest any more as you say :laugh:

I agree Sybil's more strapping (beefy) than tall but when you're 5' 2" and mousy quiet with no charisma whatsoever (or even smaller like Nobby and your charisma's impressive but in the other direction :laugh: ) that's just as impressive as being 6'6" or whatever that Carrot is. It's like Meat Loaf off-stage - he's still just as 'big' and over-whelming but in a different way to when he sings 'cos he's loud and barking :twisted:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
For those of you not aware of the posh old country ladies by French and Saunders - have a look at THIS - the swearing stops around the 18 sec mark. It's the attitude more than anything else although I think they did do one with dogs with it which was nearer the mark with the dog/dragon fancier thing... :laugh:

EDIT - and it should have been 'fuss and nonsense' - long time since I've seen it though :) But that's what I mean, Sybil's a no frills lady and it's that frankness and open-heartedness that attracts Sam more than anything I think? She sees everything and loves him anyway - irresistable :cool:

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Jan Van Quirm said:
Hmmm? :p I'm wondering here whether you're a younger man than I thought Kakaze... You may have overlooked some important womanly attributes - and for once I think pooh may actually back me up with (some) of this...

Women are not logical for one thing -
I'll back you up, no worries! :laugh:

Women? Mad as snakes, the lot of'em! Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em! :laugh:

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
poohbcarrot said:
Jan Van Quirm said:

Women are not logical for one thing -
I'll back you up, no worries! :laugh:

Women? Mad as snakes, the lot of'em! Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em! :laugh:
AHEM...

poohbcarrot said:
Yup, gotta agree with that. Of course Men, riding about on two, three and four wheeled contraptions, flipping about and busting their bones, teeth, and everything in between are sane as sunshine.

Hubby and friends ride ATVs, four wheeled contraptions, their sons ride two wheeled monster dirt bikes or skateboards or silly shoes with wheels in the back and build insane ramps to jump snowmobiles over attempting to cheat Death every day. I know what he looks like now and will watch at the buffet table for him at our next party.

I hear stories about the ramps that I see littering the landscape out here on the farm and they usually go, "Well, First Bobby tried it, then after the ambulance left, Chuck gave it a go. Well, we managed to save his snowmobile. Then Smitty decided to give it a shot... and well, we decided to retire THIS ramp" There's a lot to be said for Medic Training around this place.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter