help please

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

alx312

Aug 28, 2009
hi everyone
i must confess not a fan of the great man and all his work but i am looking for some advice. i was wondering if there is a discworld language phrase book or dictionary as i am wanting to write a love poem for my girlfriend who is a huge fan of discworld and all things Sir Terry.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Alex

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Hi Alex :laugh:

Firstly, how cute are you? :laugh: Secondly, well there is a Discworld Companion you could buy, but it would take you ages to find anything remotely romantic I think. (Just to check - you weren't wondering if there's another language spoken on the Disc, were you? There isn't. It just seems that way).

You could mention the Disc's greatest lovers, as in the following quote:

Terry Pratchett said:
The Disc's greatest lovers were undoubtably Mellius and Gretelina, whose pure, passionate and soul-searing affair would have scorched the pages of History if they had not, because of some unexplained quirk of fate, been born two hundred years apart on different continents.
Or the romantic film Pelias and Melisande:

Terry Pratchett said:
Pelias and Melisande: A Storie of Forbiden Love. Thys wille shok you! With a 1,000 elephants!
You could liken yourself to Casanunda, the Disc's second greatest lover (has his own stepladder).

Or you could just say that you love her more than:
Sam loves Sybil
Detritus loves Ruby
Carrot loves Angua
Nobby loves checking door handles.

I think it's safe to say that any love poem with a Discworld theme probably won't be romantic. But good luck!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Or there's Greebo's love 'em hard leave 'em stunned technique (suuuch a macho kitty-kat). I'm afraid I can't remember where he starts off - it could well be Wyrd Sisters but his escapades in Witches Abroad and especially Maskerade are particularly outstanding as he takes on a human aspect (his mummy Nanny Ogg is a witch BTW) and is rather erm... dashing or perhaps even magnificent in a kind of feline bluebeard-come-Jack Sparrow style :twisted:

Sorry I can't do quotes - far too bone-idle and I'm on a tight schedule - good luck with the wooing anyway

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Terry's books aren't exactly romantic and I still maintain he screwed up when he mentioned Pelias and Melisande as that was an opera by Debussy and a suite by Sibelius (part of which is the theme music to A Sky At Night). ;) It's not a Discworld story at all. :laugh:

Welcome to the site Alex and your girlfriend has got excellent taste. ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Tonyblack said:
Terry's books aren't exactly romantic and I still maintain he screwed up when he mentioned Pelias and Melisande as that was an opera by Debussy and a suite by Sibelius (part of which is the theme music to A Sky At Night). ;) It's not a Discworld story at all. :laugh:

Welcome to the site Alex and your girlfriend has got excellent taste. ;)
And there is time yet to see the light and impress your lady even more.

nattheweirdo

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
Devon, UK
Or you could just say that you love her more than:
Sam loves Sybil
Detritus loves Ruby
Carrot loves Angua
Nobby loves checking door handles.

er.. that was meant to be a quote...dunno what happened D:

I think you should mention something about sam vimes and Sybil....they are my favourite couple :) and most people i know who likes Discworld's too :laugh:

x Nattheweirdo

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
nattheweirdo said:
er.. that was meant to be a quote...dunno what happened D:
Hi natthewierdo, welcome :laugh:

If you click on 'quote' in the top RH corner of this message, you will get to see how the quoting thing looks ;)

alx312

Aug 28, 2009
thanks for the advice everyone but i missed a crucial word out she is my ex who i'm trying to get back. i really appreicate all the advice but having not read the books i thought there was a different language but never mind i have a few ideas now thank you all so much.

alex

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
No, it's pretty much all in English (unless you read a foreign edition). The Dwarfs have their own language, but I don't think it's translatable into English like Klingon or one of the Lord of the Rings languages.

Good luck! :)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
alx312 said:
thanks for the advice everyone but i missed a crucial word out she is my ex who i'm trying to get back. i really appreicate all the advice but having not read the books i thought there was a different language but never mind i have a few ideas now thank you all so much.

alex
Word of advice son don't run after her, unless you have done something wrong and want to make amends, Just apoligise and see how it goes.

User Menu

Newsletter