SPOILERS Hogfather Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Tonyblack said:
I've forgotten the name of the guy who played Teatime in the movie - Marc, someone or another - but he didn't influence my impression of Teatime in the book a bit. I found the movie portrayal to be too comedic and therefore I just ignore it. Teatime in the book is someone completely different to me.
Marc Warren. I was a fan of his previously from Hustle on TV and now in his VirginMedia ads I keep imagining his lines in his Teatime voice. :)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Hogfather is one of my favorite DW novels, for all the reasons others have been talking about.

At the same time, I find it one of the hardest books to re-read. There's just so much going on in it and the plot and ideas are so complex that it's not easy reading, and I can see why people would be put off by it.

Teatime is Pterry's best villain, even better than Pin and Tulip. Had he channelled his genius and sociopathy into politics instead of crime he could have become the Patrician.

While I thought the movie version of Hogfather was the best of all the DW adaptations to that time, and it was nearly totally faithful to the book, I found it incredibly slow moving and lacking in energy. The role of Ridcully in particular was woefully miscast; he was made to look and sound like a weak and doddering old fool, instead of the larger than life, robust, garrulous, outdoorsy man he is in the book.

A

Anonymous

raisindot said:
Teatime is Pterry's best villain, even better than Pin and Tulip. Had he channelled his genius and sociopathy into politics instead of crime he could have become the Patrician.
I just have to ask this: Pure speculative, who'd be harder to 'inhume'? DEATH himself or Vetinari?

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
LilMaibe said:
raisindot said:
I just have to ask this: Pure speculative, who'd be harder to 'inhume'? DEATH himself or Vetinari?
It cam pretty close for death in Reaper man where as its never been close for Vetinari :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Penfold said:
I beg to differ. I believe Vetinari got shot in the leg which resulted in the reason for him walking with a cane. Vimes saved his life if I recall correctly. :laugh:
But Vetinari made sure Vimes was in the right position to save his life ;)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
pip said:
Penfold said:
I beg to differ. I believe Vetinari got shot in the leg which resulted in the reason for him walking with a cane. Vimes saved his life if I recall correctly. :laugh:
But Vetinari made sure Vimes was in the right position to save his life ;)
AYE YE MATEY, OFF-TOPIC SPOILERS SIGHTED OFF TH' STARBOARD SIDE

Wasn't it actually Carrot who knocked Vetinari away from the fatal path of the bullet?

A

Anonymous

Time to re-read MaA :)

On a further side-note, concerning the movie, a little tidbit perhaps:

When in the movie the raditation shield blows up, we have three student opening the window, not Ponder. You think that might have been a nod towards the lads from Soul Music or just random?

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Dotsie said:
but Teatime wasn't a very good villain. Like some other Pratchett baddies, he was a bit two-dimensional. Carcer for example was perfectly capable of passing himself off as a normal human (normalish), whereas Teatime, Andy Shank, and another I won't mention are just antisocial nutters - there's nothing more to them, and they're so predictable they aren't frightening.
Jeff, I have to agree with Dotsie--Teatime may have been better than Pin & Tulip, but he's not nearly as effective as Carcer or the Cunning Man. Both of them are sociopathic, and the Cunning Man is almost anthropomorphic. Carcer is perfectly capable of killing or corrupting young Vimes which would change the whole future of Ank-Morpork. And he seems, in the pleas he makes in the graveyard to Vimes, so almost normal--something Teatime never achieves.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I quite like everything about Hogfather except for the actual 'how', so it's not one of my favourites. o_O

This reading (I think it's my third - maybe fourth time so there's another clue to how much I don't rate it because I'm really not sure how much I've not read it) I finally got the full nuance of the tooth control exercise, but really the whole Tooth Fairy thing didn't work for me somehow. I enjoyed the kid's drawing aspect of it and the Bogeyman denouement did make up for the actual 'killing stroke' I suppose. I mean really - how had they killed him? Hogswatch was still going on full tilt anyway even without Death subbing so quite patently people were keeping up traditions despite all the goings on in mythland and the kids were showing up for their turn on the Hogfather's knee so quite how had he really been inhumed? :rolleyes:

Did love the Canting Crew and the posh restaurant switcheroo in this and also the miffed angels when the Little Matchgirl was snatched from their clutches ;) The wizards did a lot to mitigate as well - lurve the bathroom antics but really I can't see how you could put this anywhere near par with SG or even CJ or RM on the 'deeper meaning' scoping o_O

A

Anonymous

It been a while since I read the book (and currently I have leanded it to my mom) but the bit with the broken hourglass (am at that point in the movie again atm) was in the book as well, wasn't it?

I understood it that DEATH, upon seeing the Hogfather's time running out for some reason 'temporarily' removed the Hogfather from the reality so he could NOT get ... inhumed.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Maybe but when they were cutting to the scenes in Death's Domain there was 'activity' around the hourglass regardless of whether it was broken or not. Granted Death and Albert were out there trying to keep everything going across time as well as space but everything kept going more or less without their being there the whole time - wizards were still getting on with stuff etc although there was more Oh Gods and glingleglingle thing interaction but they were still celebrating Hogswatch with the foodie aspects so did the HF ever really disappear?

A

Anonymous

Maybe said activity was because he was there without being there. Will check the quotes again once I got the book back

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Jan Van Quirm said:
Maybe but when they were cutting to the scenes in Death's Domain there was 'activity' around the hourglass regardless of whether it was broken or not. Granted Death and Albert were out there trying to keep everything going across time as well as space but everything kept going more or less without their being there the whole time - wizards were still getting on with stuff etc although there was more Oh Gods and glingleglingle thing interaction but they were still celebrating Hogswatch with the foodie aspects so did the HF ever really disappear?
Hogswatch might still be going on, but did children still believe in the Hogfather? Nobody believed in Om anymore but the Church of Om was still there ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Sjoerd3000 said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
Hogswatch might still be going on, but did children still believe in the Hogfather? Nobody believed in Om anymore but the Church of Om was still there ;)
But that's the point really isn't it? The Hogfather was a pre-historical legend that maybe a Small God latched onto to give it more narrativum and it had degenerated into a winter fire festival tradition with no real focus in Teatime's era so the Hogfather was 'dead' anyway? :laugh:

A

Anonymous

I understood it that the more important thing was that they believed in him because not doing so would be the first domino-stone tupiied over in a long line of stopping to believe in things like him, ultimately ending in the people of the disc, no matter the species becoming... remember what became of the humans in Science of Discworld 2 that lacked stories?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
LilMaibe said:
I understood it that the more important thing was that they believed in him because not doing so would be the first domino-stone tupiied over in a long line of stopping to believe in things like him, ultimately ending in the people of the disc, no matter the species becoming... remember what became of the humans in Science of Discworld 2 that lacked stories?
Science 2 The Globe? And the story-telling apes - well yes, but that's RoundWorld with no magical field. The Disc gods technically don't need belief because they exist anyway and so does magic. The Cori Celesti mob for the most part are 'elementals' or nature gods that would have presence in any event, even if they did start as small gods (like Om or Nuggan perhaps) with the exception being deities like Fate and the Lady although they're more aspects of causality or maybe anthropomorphic personifications... :p

Hogswatch is simply a point in the calendar to mark the end/start of the bi-cyclic 800-day year and the Hogfather the focus of ancient rituals to mark it. From that PoV he'd ceased to have any significance for centuries except for having a traditional feastday and had belief by default in that sense, so the essence of a Hogfather existed still but not the actual entity?

User Menu

Newsletter