How was Alice in wonderland?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

What did you think?

• Animated genius

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over- budgeted nonsense

• Never really cared for Alice

• Total voters
It was too much HolyWood for me... I mean, Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were brilliant, of course, but I expected some more from Tim Burton. I guess Disney didn't let his imagination fly free... as not to make it too scary for the little kids, maybe, or just to keep the home-movie feeling. Anyhow, I didn't like the girl playing Alice either. And the plot could have been better too.
And it didn't help much that I got a panic attack at the end and my mom had to call the ambulance... but that was the fault of 3D, not of Tim Burton, so that doesn't really count. ;)

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
I am not voting because there is not an option for how I feel.

Meh.

It was enjoyable and entertaining but it was not genius or earth-shattering to me.

I know what I'm getting when I get a Tim Burton film, which is a great thing and very much fill of wonder and fun, but it's also expected and predictable.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
michelanCello said:
It was too much HolyWood for me... I mean, Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were brilliant, of course, but I expected some more from Tim Burton. I guess Disney didn't let his imagination fly free... as not to make it too scary for the little kids, maybe, or just to keep the home-movie feeling. Anyhow, I didn't like the girl playing Alice either. And the plot could have been better too.
And it didn't help much that I got a panic attack at the end and my mom had to call the ambulance... but that was the fault of 3D, not of Tim Burton, so that doesn't really count. ;)
There's an 18 version too - for adults only of course, but I suspect that hinges mostly on the girl who played Alice not coping quite so well with her clothes not fitting her... :rolleyes:

Not 100% on that theory, but the 18 version wasn't in 3D at the cinema we went to, so we opted for 3D having enjoyed Avatar so much in that. Wrong choice as it turned out as 3D wasn't really needed so much. :laugh:

Nov 3, 2009
Finland
Jan Van Quirm said:
Not 100% on that theory, but the 18 version wasn't in 3D at the cinema we went to, so we opted for 3D having enjoyed Avatar so much in that. Wrong choice as it turned out as 3D wasn't really needed so much. :laugh:
I agree, my brother was really impressed by Avatar in 3D but both he and I thought that it didn't really add anything to the experience with Alice in Wonderland.

I went to see it with my friends, one of whom is a huge fan of the Alice in Wonderland story. Her enthusiasm made me enjoy the movie more, too. :laugh:

Jun 17, 2010
A fun film with awesome visual design. I think that over time detractors will mellow and Burton's Alice will become a classic. Futterwackens not withstanding.

Aug 26, 2010
Alice in Wonderland is a 2010 fantasy adventure film directed by Tim Burton, written by Linda Woolverton, and starring chose Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, Crispin Glover, Michael Sheen, Stephen Fry and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is an extension of Lewis Carroll novels Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. The film uses a technique that combines live action and 3D animation.

User Menu

Newsletter