SPOILERS [HUGE SPOILERS] Theory: The connection between Nutt and Pter

Welcome to the Official Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the official Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Sign up
Oct 1, 2009
3,958
10
2,150
Boston, MA USA
#1
[BIG SPOILERS AHEAD]

After reading UA, and thinking about how amazing it is that PTerry is still able to produce works of this quality in spite of his deteriorating mental and physical capabilities, I started thinking about Nutt's own triumphs over his own self-imposed limitations, and it occurred to that perhaps Nutt symbolizes PTerry's own struggle to live with his condition.

Nutt's central motivation is about continuously providing "worth" to counter the public's perception of orcs as horrible, stupid creatures. Behind this character, we might see PTerry's personal struggle to continue writing in spite of his diminishing capacity, both physically and mentally.

Of course, unlike Nutt, Pterry was never "chained to an anvil," although this may symbolize PTerry's feelings about his pre-Alzheimer's life, when cranking out DW novels might have represented, in some small way, a form of imprisonment imposed on him by his fans, even if at the same time he knows unlike Nutt, that he has been providing "worth" all these years.

However, the 'freed' Nutt toiling away in the tallow might represent how Pterry sees himself today--as someone who, free of his former literary burden but now hampered by limitations has to start at the bottom again, to prove to himself (and his fans) that he can still "provide worth."

Mutt's realization that he is an orc could symbolize PTerry's own journey of self-discovery once he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Like Nutt, he may have tried to deny what was happening to him, and lurched toward the conclusion after going through the usual "7 stages" and ultimately accepting the inevitable. Nutt's "death" at the hands of Andy might represent the time when PTerry hit spiritual bottom, and the characters' belief that Nutt was truly dead could symbolize the belief among some of his fans that PTerry's writing days were over. Nutt's "resurrection" from death might symbolize the his emergence from denial and the beginning of the metaphysical road leading (like Nutt's realzation that he is an orc) to the inevitable conclusion that the situation is irreversible. But, instead of running away from it (as Nutt tried to do), he, with the support of his family, friends, and fans, embrace the challenge and resolved do the best with what he had, metaphorically breaking the chains of his own self doubt as Nutt broke his literal (and figurative) chains.

Nutt's challenge to the Ankh-Morpork community at the end of the game might ultimately symbolize PTerry's "flipping the bird" at those in the media or certain fans who had written him off (or who he thought might have written them off).

In the end, Nutt's decision to go help the other orcs may symbolize PTerry's own efforts to raise awareness of and funds for Alzheimer's research and treatment.

Jeff in Boston
 

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
8,317
0
2,300
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
#3
Oooh! Nice theory Jeffinboston. :p

Jeffinboston said:
Nutt's challenge to the Ankh-Morpork community at the end of the game might ultimately symbolize PTerry's "flipping the bird" at those in the media or certain fans who had written him off (or who he thought might have written them off).

But I think this "turning the chicken" bit might be more Pterry saying he's going to face the disease head on and fight it. I can't see that many fans would have written him off, if they did, they weren't really fans.
 
Oct 1, 2009
3,958
10
2,150
Boston, MA USA
#4
poohcarrot said:
Oooh! Nice theory Jeffinboston. :p

Jeffinboston said:
Nutt's challenge to the Ankh-Morpork community at the end of the game might ultimately symbolize PTerry's "flipping the bird" at those in the media or certain fans who had written him off (or who he thought might have written them off).

But I think this "turning the chicken" bit might be more Pterry saying he's going to face the disease head on and fight it. I can't see that many fans would have written him off, if they did, they weren't really fans.
Sure, that's absolutely valid as well. Still, I've seen a number of comments from fans on other sites eulogizing UA as perhaps PTerry's last book. I don't think this is necessarily "writing him off," or being a bad fan (heck, when we all heard that he had Alzheimer's, how many of us initially thought he'd be able to continue to produce any more novels, let alone work of this quality?). It's simply people expressing their own sadness and trying to adjust to the inevitable reality of world without new DW books. But in any case, Nutt's 'flipping the bird' can represent both PTerry's fight against the disease and possibly his own perceptions of his audience's expectations.

Jeff in Boston
 

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
8,317
0
2,300
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
#5
raisindot said:
Still, I've seen a number of comments from fans on other sites eulogizing UA as perhaps PTerry's last book. .

JeffinBoston
You obviously frequent some strange, pessimistic and depressing sites. :p

We're all positive here and are looking forward to "Raising Taxes" and "I shall wear midnight". :p

He aten't dead! :laugh:
 

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
725
0
2,600
47
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
#6
I spoke briefly with Terry a couple of weeks ago at the Unseen Academicals book launch in Wincanton. He was his usual and witty self. If Terry had decided not to go public with the announcement of his illness we wouldn't be any the wiser based on talking with him.

Terry has said that eventually all forms of Alzheimers Disease end up the same but for the time being his is being held back to a degree with his regime of diet, mental and physical activities and prescription drugs

Terry can no longer do dedications when signing books because while he can see the words in his head he cannot always get that message to his hands. So he now dictates to his computer. Technology is helping to make the writing process productive.

How long this will continue to be the case remains to be seen - but I hope that Terry still has many more years of productive and wonderful writing in him.
 

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
8,524
0
2,800
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
#8
And he's not physically immortal so he can only write so many books anyway - that is inevitably finite. His words however will always be with us and so in a way we should just be really glad that he's written so much, so well and can and, more importantly, wants carry on for now whilst he's still at his best even if he cannot actually type the stories. :laugh:

Even if that stopped tomorrow we'd still be minted - we know we can read his work over and over :p
 
Oct 1, 2009
3,958
10
2,150
Boston, MA USA
#9
poohcarrot said:
raisindot said:
Still, I've seen a number of comments from fans on other sites eulogizing UA as perhaps PTerry's last book. .

JeffinBoston
You obviously frequent some strange, pessimistic and depressing sites. :p

We're all positive here and are looking forward to "Raising Taxes" and "I shall wear midnight". :p

He aten't dead! :laugh:
No, darling, these are actually mainstream Discworld and Terry Pratchett sites, and the concern is perfectly normal, not one of pessimism. Anyone who has ever been close to people with Alzheimer's can see how its progression can go from "slight forgetfulness" to nearly full-blown mental incapacitation in a matter of months in many cases (I say this from personal experience knowing and working with Alzheimer's patients). That Pterry's condition, while worsening, has not incapacitated him to the point where he can longer create stories is the best possible scenario for both him and his fans, and let's hope he does have many good years left, even if some of them no longer include production of books.

Jeff in Boston
 

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
7,987
0
2,300
swansea south wales
#10
raisindot said:
poohcarrot said:
raisindot said:
Still, I've seen a number of comments from fans on other sites eulogizing UA as perhaps PTerry's last book. .

JeffinBoston
You obviously frequent some strange, pessimistic and depressing sites. :p

We're all positive here and are looking forward to "Raising Taxes" and "I shall wear midnight". :p

He aten't dead! :laugh:
No, darling, these are actually mainstream Discworld and Terry Pratchett sites, and the concern is perfectly normal, not one of pessimism. Anyone who has ever been close to people with Alzheimer's can see how its progression can go from "slight forgetfulness" to nearly full-blown mental incapacitation in a matter of months in many cases (I say this from personal experience knowing and working with Alzheimer's patients). That Pterry's condition, while worsening, has not incapacitated him to the point where he can longer create stories is the best possible scenario for both him and his fans, and let's hope he does have many good years left, even if some of them no longer include production of books.

Jeff in Boston
my god jeff dont call pooh darling he is bad enough as it is :laugh:

i personally hope that the mental activity of writing the books plus a good drug regime will stave off the onset of the alzheimers. i dont know if its me but i seem to see articles on the research into alzhiemers everyday in the papers s hopefully they will find a blocker to the symptoms sooner than later
 

Book of the Month

Moving Pictures

"Holy wood is a different sort of place. People act differently here. Everywhere else the most important things are gods or money or cattle. Here, the most important thing is to be important."

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter