I have done a disc!!! For VR

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Azh#oo8

Lance-Constable
Mar 14, 2021
Just a landscape and solar cycle at the mo. Everything on the ground is just thrown down experimenting. I think I want it to feel like the original artwork (somehow)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm not convinced that's the Long Man. According to Nanny Ogg, the Long Man -- when viewed from above -- seems to brag about having a great big, er ... anatomy. It is quite explicit. No mistaking his intention. No, siree-bob.

*puts hands in pockets and whistles innocently* ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
There's a difference between the description of "The Long Barrow" while are often prehistorical.

. . . and such things as the Cearne Abbes Giant, described in the Tiffany books.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes, I've seen that picture of the Cearne Abbes Giant before (on wiki, I think).

While the Long Barrow leaves such things to the imagination, the CAG definitely does not. I can only imagine Nanny Ogg's grin and the giggles of the maidens as they worked to scour the site from the long grass. :p

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
If i recall correctly, when the dating method that tells you how long ago a piece of dirt was first exposed to the sunlight was done (or whatever method was used), they found that originally the Cerne Abbas fellow was not so well endowed. Originally he had a separate bellybutton. At some point, the scourers decided to connect it and thus lengthened the lower regions considerably.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
*L* And thus they earned the wrath of the Roman Catholic Church for ever more. ;)

Actually, when I looked him up on wikipedia, it appears there was only one recorded instance of someone taking offense. To quote: "In 1921 Walter Long of Gillingham, Dorset, objected to the giant's nudity and conducted a campaign to either convert it to a simple nude, or to cover its supposed obscenity with a leaf. Long's protest gained some support, including that of two bishops, and eventually reached the Home Office. The Home Office considered the protest to be in humour, though the chief constable responded to say the office could not act against a protected monument."

It also looks like, when the figure was sketched in the 1700s, everything was - um - "intact". But sketches in the mid- and late-1800s give the Giant a pair of long-johns, perhaps to spare Queen Victoria's blushes. ;)

Finally, a Cerne Abbe giant beer was made and is now sold in the houses of Parliament, although the logo was censored because some baroness complained. Wowsers. :rolleyes: Besides, the censorship is done in such a silly way ... the fig leaf covers not only the giant's lower regions, but also his stomach and his legs. :rolleyes: But it's only Blu-tacked on, so anyone can rip it off if they like. Britain's tax Pounds at work! :mrgreen:

He's not the only giant on Britain's hills, of course. The Long Man of Wilmington is another, though considerably less "rude". (I don't mean to "man-splain", or anything like that; I only just came across him). :)

Azh#oo8

Lance-Constable
Mar 14, 2021
There's a difference between the description of "The Long Barrow" while are often prehistorical.

. . . and such things as the Cearne Abbes Giant, described in the Tiffany books.

I have that exact picture in my ref folder. the giant and the horse will be on the chalk and Yea myy long man needs some balls I recreated West kenit long barow for the shaft. Real world subject suggestions for the round mounds will be appreciated

Azh#oo8

Lance-Constable
Mar 14, 2021
If i recall correctly, when the dating method that tells you how long ago a piece of dirt was first exposed to the sunlight was done (or whatever method was used), they found that originally the Cerne Abbas fellow was not so well endowed. Originally he had a separate bellybutton. At some point, the scourers decided to connect it and thus lengthened the lower regions considerably.
Nice one

Azh#oo8

Lance-Constable
Mar 14, 2021
*L* And thus they earned the wrath of the Roman Catholic Church for ever more. ;)

Actually, when I looked him up on wikipedia, it appears there was only one recorded instance of someone taking offense. To quote: "In 1921 Walter Long of Gillingham, Dorset, objected to the giant's nudity and conducted a campaign to either convert it to a simple nude, or to cover its supposed obscenity with a leaf. Long's protest gained some support, including that of two bishops, and eventually reached the Home Office. The Home Office considered the protest to be in humour, though the chief constable responded to say the office could not act against a protected monument."

It also looks like, when the figure was sketched in the 1700s, everything was - um - "intact". But sketches in the mid- and late-1800s give the Giant a pair of long-johns, perhaps to spare Queen Victoria's blushes. ;)

Finally, a Cerne Abbe giant beer was made and is now sold in the houses of Parliament, although the logo was censored because some baroness complained. Wowsers. :rolleyes: Besides, the censorship is done in such a silly way ... the fig leaf covers not only the giant's lower regions, but also his stomach and his legs. :rolleyes: But it's only Blu-tacked on, so anyone can rip it off if they like. Britain's tax Pounds at work! :mrgreen:

He's not the only giant on Britain's hills, of course. The Long Man of Wilmington is another, though considerably less "rude". (I don't mean to "man-splain", or anything like that; I only just came across him). :)
Epic chears I'll put the beer in somewhere discreet

Azh#oo8

Lance-Constable
Mar 14, 2021
HighresScreenshot00104.png Did it for the art while I build. But it occurred to me that they could be a perchace link to the audio books or a virtual book to read under a tree. Ensuring that the money went to the pratchett family and bringing a whole new generation into the fold whom? who refuse to read a book. IF IT WAS EVER PUBLISHED.

Azh#oo8

Lance-Constable
Mar 14, 2021

I've got this image he and the Wiltshire horse are going on the chalk. if there are any other real world landmarks you know he referenced please do let me know

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
View attachment 2528 Yet another new found respect for Sir Terry! 3hrs in vr just setting out the book covers
Great work, Azh#008. :) Just wondering, though: where is the Hub (frozen section of the Disc, where Barbarian Heroes come from)? And Cori Celesti? :)

P.S. XXXX is not all desert. ;)

P.S.S. I noticed you have not included the Continent of Klatch yet (i.e. where places like Howandaland, Djelibeybi, Omnia etc. are). No hurry though. Good job *thumbs up* :)

Azh#oo8

Lance-Constable
Mar 14, 2021
HighresScreenshot00115.png To make it playable in vr things are only drawn when we get close {10.000m ish} this is the beginning of the tezuman emp. More close ups to follow

User Menu

Newsletter