I so wanna see this

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
*shrug* I haven't seen the others, so I don't know what the big deal is. ;)

(I've been too busy (and tired) performing for the last 15 years. ;) Besides, nothing much in the cinemas had grabbed my interest) :p

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I saw the first Matrix film. I kept my earplugs in for most of the show, only loosening them when the ear-damaging noise level went down and it looked like they were saying something plot-related. From what I've read about the plot, I didn't miss anything important. Did they make any change to the noise level in later episodes?

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
That is normally down to the cinema's cranking up the volume unnecessarily, I've had that in happen in various types of films but mostly fantasy and SF ones, I think they have toned it down now due to complaints from the public. When I watched Black Widow it was a reasonable level.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I think the whole "volume turned up to 11" thing started with this. (Warning: turn the volume down, do not watch if you have anything fragile in the house) ;)

As for the Matrix - yes, =Tamar summed up my feelings about that. I heard it was long on SFX and short on actual plot, so I didn't think I'd bother. ;)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Around that time, there were directors (okay, one director) saying things in interviews like "I wanted it to be exciting, so I cranked up the sound" - about a different movie, by the way. As in, they had literally no idea that "excitement in a story" does not equal "merely louder". What appalled me even more was that I saw absolutely no critical comment about that idea. Everybody apparently just nodded and said Yup, that's how it's done. There were some great movies made then, by directors who knew what they were doing, so maybe they just assumed everyone was wincing and saying Ye gods and little chickens, there's no point in commenting, it's so obvious how wrong he is.
Let that be a lesson - when someone is that obviously wrong, it is necessary to comment.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes. It's obviously possible to make a scene exciting without it being loud. Just witness this scene, for instance (from Shakespeare's "Henry V"):

Brian Blessed does not even raise his voice, but he manages to project a palpable menace and disdain - right in the court of the French king and his heir, the Dauphin. This scene is genuinely exciting and tense without being loud.

Or, of course, Brian's scene in "I, Claudius" where he, as Augustus, walks around the assembled crowd of Romans who had "slept with his daughter". All you can hear is Brian's squeaking sandals, but nevertheless he conveys menace and inspires the others with utter terror. Only then, when they're ready to soil their drawers, does he open the fusillade: "IS THERE ONE MAN IN ROME WHO HAS NOT SLEPT WITH MY DAUGHTER?!?!" :devil:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I think the whole "volume turned up to 11" thing started with this. (Warning: turn the volume down, do not watch if you have anything fragile in the house) ;)

As for the Matrix - yes, =Tamar summed up my feelings about that. I heard it was long on SFX and short on actual plot, so I didn't think I'd bother. ;)
It was part of a trilogy so the storyline was not in just one film.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Coming on Amazon.
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-peripheral-amazon-series/
I have read the first two books, The Peripheral and The Agent patiently waiting on the final book to be written.
I did ask William Gibson on Twitter when will it be published, he replied so would I :laugh:, he did have it partly written then Trump came to power and he had to start again, the time between the first and second book was a long time so I hope the final book comes a lot sooner.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
sounds interesting although I'm not a fan of Bladerunner myself I can appreciate the influence that it has on modern filmmaking as for the screenshots it reminds me of Appleseed crossed with the first final fantasy film

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
I'm not a fan of the DC comics too dark and brooding for the most part and Superman is so OP that he is mostly boring
but lighthearted DC is another kettle altogether
even though this has Secret life of pets vibes all over it

User Menu

Newsletter