Inconsistencies in Discworld books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
yes i am left handed and dyslexic, its a common thing that lefties are dyslexic and can write backwards very easily, its very handy when im in the office reading the papers on my contract managers desk :laugh: just like vimes does to vetinaris desk :laugh:

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
I can write backwards with ease (although it's easier to use a pen), and I can read a book upside down - the book that is, not me!
I'm right handed, so I think it could be down to visualizing thoughts.

nattheweirdo

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
Devon, UK
going back to inconsistensies :) up till about two days ago it hadn't uccourred to me...but weren't the trolls ffrom colour of magic/the light fantastic boulders during the day? Ankh Morpork trolls dont semm to be eg. Detritus... I deduced that it may be due to his cooling helmet but other trolls in Moving Pictues are up during the day as well i believe...any ideas? maybe a point has been made in the story and i just missed it but i dunno xD sorry if someone already brough this up i only read till page 4 :S:S

x Nattheweirdo

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
This has sort of been explained that they have and carry 'the kit' as it is called in Thud! The vampires have a large brim hat, sun block and an emergancey bottle of the b-vord, MY VORD YES! as Otto would say.

I think that same goes for the Trolls, the use some sort of sunblock.

Also as Terry has said about how the DW has changed that before it was an inexpirenced writer writting and things have changed, or something like that.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I don't buy it myself and agree that it's an inconsistancy. It simlpy became too much of a problem to have trolls and vampires that could only be in the stories during nighttime.

Having said that - why not change the rules? I'm glad Detritus functions pretty well whatever the time of the day. ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
That's the explanation in MAA. But earlier on, I think in MP, there's mention of sunblock. Really, Terry didn't know he was going to have troll main characters. And the cooling helmet was a nice touch anyway ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Dotsie's right - the troll sunblock started off in Moving Pictures (Detritus met Ruby at the commissary in that remember?) and the alchemists hit on the idea because they needed the stunt trolls (Rock and Flint?) to be able to work in the day for filming... :p

Behind every brilliant idea there is a totally vacuous requirement :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
Yes, but it wouldn't really work would it? All a fan does is circulate air it doesn't blow cold air. ;)
No it would be rubbish :laugh: I just liked it because it enabled Cuddy & Detritus to become friends.

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Somebody might already of said this but the Librarian of UU comes up more often than almost any other character except Death and possibly a few others, throughout the series. However in "The Light Fantastic" his place is filled by a small bewildered orangutan.
I can also tell you that there were huge changes throughout the writings of Tolkien. He once wrote a poem about goblins and later went on to regret doing so. I The Fellowship Tom Bombadil is as old as the earth and without parents but in the adventures of Tom Bombadil he has parents and an uncle.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
theoldlibrarian said:
However in "The Light Fantastic" his place is filled by a small bewildered orangutan.
But he'd only just become an orangutan, so maybe he was still a bit confused about the whole thing. Now of course we know he wouldn't be anything else (except briefly an armchair in The Last Continent) ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I can't remember which book it's in, but one of them suggests that the Librarian doesn't have the extended 'flanges' on the side of his head as this is something found in the dominant male. The suggestion is that Ridcully fills that role. :laugh:

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
Tonyblack said:
I can't remember which book it's in, but one of them suggests that the Librarian doesn't have the extended 'flanges' on the side of his head as this is something found in the dominant male. The suggestion is that Ridcully fills that role. :laugh:
The Dean suggest this in Interesting Times :laugh:

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
also, in some of his earlier books Pratchett talks about the time of the apocralypse when the ice giants will cover the world in ice. but in his later books he just says the apocalypse. Presumably because it just gets tiring to say it so often as in say Thief of Time.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Tonyblack said:
Yes, but it wouldn't really work would it? All a fan does is circulate air it doesn't blow cold air. ;)
Didn't it have black-painted fins as well? Then it would work the same as the CPU heat sink in your computer.

Even if it just blew air across his head, it would cool him down a bit (but not much).

N1v3n

Lance-Constable
Mar 21, 2010
that London
In Making Money on p455 Moist says about not using fifty foot high killer golems. The reply back from Vetinari asks if they have found forty foot killer golems?

User Menu

Newsletter