Interesting Times questions...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I've read throughout the "Interesting Times" discussion thread, but haven't seen this one come up. I have two questions:

1. Should I post these questions in that thread? I thought about it, but the last post made there was 5.5 years ago. I've heard of thread-necromancy, but this is ridiculous. ;)

On the other hand, if I should put it there, please feel free to delete this post and I'll re-create my questions there. :)

This question pertains to any of the DW books that I read, naturally (e.g. if I have a question re: COM, etc. - would it be better in that thread, or as its own thread).

2. My real question about IT is this:

Towards the end of the book, Rincewind remembers an old legend he once heard about mortality. The human soul, the legend goes, is like a bird that flies in from the blizzard outside into a great hall, filled with warmth. For a while, the bird stays inside and warms itself; but soon, it flies off again into the blizzard - and who knows where?

The moral is simple: For a while, like the bird, our souls live and warm themselves by the fires of mortality. But before we live, and after we die, our souls fly off like the bird - and who knows where?

In Rincewind's case, he supposes that the bird did something unmentionable to his dinner. ;)

This sounds like something that TP made up for the book, but it's actually a well-known English legend that predates the Normans. I think it could be Viking, or even Saxon. (But, obviously, there's no mention of the bird soiling itself). *G*

Anyway, I've heard the legend before, and I found TP's version hilarious. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed it, because no one mentioned it in the thread. That's all. :)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
When you say 'well-known English legend', I would have to ask how many people you've met who know it! Especially amongst the English!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Dotsie said:
When you say 'well-known English legend', I would have to ask how many people you've met who know it! Especially amongst the English!
Hmm... you've never heard that one? I read it ages ago in Great Tales from English History, v. 1 by Robert Lacey. (Sorry - I don't mean to appear arrogant or anything). *blushes*

I simply assumed that if it was written down, then probably people know it or have heard a version of it? I apologise if I was wrong.

Also, TP's version is shorter and much punchier. The version I recounted is the original, theological one.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I think I read it in school, here in the USA, sometime in the 1960s or 1970s. It may have been in the Norton Anthology of English Literature textbook.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Wow! That’s interesting, Rath… I just can’t believe how new references are always being found when reading a Discworld book! That’s one of the things I really love about them ^.^

Mx

User Menu

Newsletter