Jennifer Garner to play Miss Marple?!?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 29, 2009
London
And there I was just about to post this.......

Agatha Christie's famous elderly sleuth Miss Marple is to get a shock makeover - Jennifer Garner is the surprise choice to play the iconic character in Disney's modern day re-invention of the series.

Instead of the mature spinster who solves crimes in an English village, the revamped version will star Hollywood beauty Garner, 38. It's not yet known if the film's setting will be in America or the UK.

Actresses who have played the sleuth include Dame Margaret Rutherford, Gracie Fields and Joan Hickson. Angela Lansbury also played the heroine in 1980's 'The Mirror Crack'd' alongside Dame Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and Tony Curtis.

'Twin Peaks' screenwriter Mark Frost will be on writing duties for the re-invention of one of the most famous fictional sleuths ever created. According to the LA Times, Disney are "looking to do a contemporary version with an edge".

While some fans of the much loved character will be up in arms over the decision to go younger for Miss Marple, Warner Bros' recent attempt to re-invent another fictional detective for a new generation was a huge success. 'Sherlock Holmes' was a hit with both fans of the series and newcomers. A sequel will be released at the end of the year.

Garner will reportedly act as producer on the movie as well.

Three letters spring to mind - F.F.S.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
WTF?

...Okay. Yeah. It might work, but shouldn't they do it in the same way they re-invented Sherlock Holmes for that Sherlock TV series?

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
To be fair... Agatha Christie never liked Margaret Rutherford playing the part... she always intended Miss Marple to be much much younger and not so doddery....

But JENNIFER GARNER????

Sorry guys.... I am not geographically challenged.... but I don't GET Americans playing VERY English characters.

I never liked Renee Zeldwegger playing that diary chic either.

Miss Marple is ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
deldaisy said:
To be fair... Agatha Christie never liked Margaret Rutherford playing the part... she always intended Miss Marple to be much much younger and not so doddery....

But JENNIFER GARNER????

Sorry guys.... I am not geographically challenged.... but I don't GET Americans playing VERY English characters.

So were Frodo and Sherlock Holmes, and yet both Elijah Wood and Robert Downey Junior played their respective roles very well. I think the problem is the calibre of the actor.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
So did I. But Robert Downey Jr, might have been brilliant for all I know because I couldn't understand a word he was saying. Mumbler!

Apr 29, 2009
London
deldaisy said:

But JENNIFER GARNER????

Agatha Christie stated that her ideal actress to play Miss Marple was Joan Hickson.

Mrs Christie was spot on!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Talking about British accents, what about Russell Crowe in Robin Hood? To be fair - he did try and do lots of different British accents during that film. His Liverpudlian was very good. :laugh:

Apr 29, 2009
London
Tonyblack said:
Talking about British accents, what about Russell Crowe in Robin Hood? To be fair - he did try and do lots of different British accents during that film. His Liverpudlian was very good. :laugh:

Robin Hood was set in Toxteth? Who knew? :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
He's a Kiwi, that's close enough to a British accent. Ditto...wasn't Cate Blanchett in that movie?

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Julia McKenzie is equally good. I went to the Film Institute to see the first new release of Miss Marple and Poirot. Julia McKenzie and David Suchet were both there and questions were asked etc. Great evening.

It was agreed Julia's portrayl was an excellent follower to Joan Hickson.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Even some of the Yanks are stunned at the casting!!

Remember Agatha Christie’s iconic, elderly spinster detective Miss Marple who solved crimes in between knitting and gardening? Well, Disney’s going to make another movie about her, only this time she’ll be younger and played by Jennifer Garner (who is producing as well).

Also, this one’s set in modern times. So uh.. I guess she’ll solve crimes between shopping for shoes and dining at Soho cafes? And, if they’re changing all of these elements, it seems like they might as well “re-boot” the name too. I mean, they can’t actually name this sexy female detective for a new generation Miss Marple, can they?

The script will apparently be written by Mark Frost, who gets major credibility points for writing on Twin Peaks, and then loses some of them for penning both Fantastic Four films.

Right now, Frost is probably pouring over a blank sheet of paper, trying to figure out how to handle a memo from Disney asking him to make the main character’s name sound younger without totally sacrificing the source material.

I’ll admit, it’s a tough one! But still, here are seven suggestions to jump start Frost’s brainstorming. Submit your own suggestions in the comments.

· Miss M.

· Carrie “Marple” Bradshaw

· Cleo Marplé

· Margaret Pell

· Juno Marple

· M.A.R.P.L.E. (code name given by a secret government agency.)

· DJ Marp

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter