Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a Carrot

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Not going by that picture. But he might be a good actor for all I know - does he have huge muscles? Because that’s a must.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Heh. Yes, I remember that description in "Guards! Guards!": "When he flexed his muscles, other muscles had to move out of the way first."

Even so, his personality's perhaps more paramount, pressing and principal than his pecs. ;)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Carrot has no personality? :confused: Well, he doesn't change very much. But then, neither did some classic heroes like King Arthur. Heck, never mind classic heroes: James Bond never changes at all! :p All James Bond movies basically boil down to this:

1. James Bond is sophisticated, suave, charming, and sexy.
2. Someone (let's call them Mr X) tries to take over the world.
3. Mr X sends a sexy woman to have sex with James Bond. Bond happily does.
4. Bond is captured. He escapes the trap, thwarts Mr X, and wins the day.

Fine, things change between films - Bond gets different techno-toys to play with - but the plot and the Bond character are the same. Every ... single ... time. Yawn.

Sorry, but this sort of thing just cheeses me off. Bond never develops and never changes. He has just one goal - save the world - and a bunch of sub-goals (e.g. save the girl, don't lose Q's toys, or escape the trap). But other than that ... meh.

Sorry to spoil Bond films for everyone ;)

BobtheDrog

Lance-Corporal
Jan 11, 2010
Dublin
Can't say I know much about most of the cast, although Dormer seems like a good choice. His role in Game of Thrones had a little of Vimes to it. Will be interested to see how Carcer fits in.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hmmm . . . I thought Carcer would be out of the picture, given the end of Night Watch. Lara Rossi looks a bit thin for Lady Sybil, but I guess we'll see. Marama Corlett, I can see she might make a good Angua and Jo Eaton-Kent, I can certainly see as Cheery.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Jo Eaton-Kent looks like a good choice. Lara Rossi is a no, nothing like any description of Sybil. Not keen on Marama Corlett, Angus is supposed to be quite voluptuous, whereas the actress looks skinny & pale. More like Sally. Vimes looks spot on.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I'll be waiting until it's released before passing judgement as I wasn't too keen on the way Rob Wilkins described the style of the program they were planning on making at the last convention. (Think police procedural meets The Young Ones type of thing.) On the other hand, I suppose they have to do something to set it apart from all the other cop shows and fantasy series out there while remembering that it is for public consumption and not just for the DW fandom.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Oooh! I heard about Carrot but I didn't know the rest of the cast was official now!

Lara Rossi looks a bit thin for Lady Sybil, but I guess we'll see.
Yeah, this choice definitely doesn't work for me.:confused:

Not going by that picture. But he might be a good actor for all I know - does he have huge muscles? Because that’s a must.
That's exactly what I thought :laugh:

As for the rest... We'll have to see them in action!

Mx

lupiilu

Sep 12, 2019
Can't say I know much about most of the cast, although Dormer seems like a good choice. His role in Game of Thrones had a little of Vimes to it. Will be interested to see how Carcer fits in.
You should watch him in Fortitude, his character is very complex and dark. I always envisioned Sean Pertwee as Vimes, but Dormer's just as good a choice imo.

lupiilu

Sep 12, 2019
Oooh! I heard about Carrot but I didn't know the rest of the cast was official now!

Yeah, this choice definitely doesn't work for me.:confused:

That's exactly what I thought :laugh:

As for the rest... We'll have to see them in action!

Mx
Yeah, I'm not thrilled by Lady Sybill actor either. I'm sure she's an excellent actress, but she's just too slim for the role. I've always loved Vimes and Sybill's love story. It's more realistic and understated, but the way he reacts when she's taken by Angua's family in The Fifth Elephant tells you how much he cares about her. This choice makes me sad. :(

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I think the Carrot/muscles issue is easily resolvable by some gym time. Actors frequently bulk up or slim down for roles. It does sound like they're going in a different direction with some of the characters and the storyline. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

lupiilu

Sep 12, 2019
Here is an article regarding the show

https://t.co/kzhQdEd5uX?amp=1

Reminds me of the time Terry Pratchett once spoke with an american production company regarding an adaption of Mort and them wanting to get rid of Death.

On the one hand, it sounds like they're starting at the beginning, which is good. We should see the rise of the watch and Sam Vimes. On the other hand, when was Sybil ever a vigilante? She's not exactly traditional, but is rooted in tradition and she trusts Sam is doing the right thing because she understands him and his sense of right and wrong.

And are we just ignoring dragons?

It's a mixed bag, but could be good. Especially because Dormer's an excellent actor.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I agree - Sybil was only a vigilante (from what I can tell) when it came to the mistreatment of dragons. She always reminds me of Lady Maud from Tom Sharpe's "Blot on the Landscape".

User Menu

Newsletter