Light Helmet treatment for Alzheimer's

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 1, 2009
London
I have been trying to find out how to get a light helmet of the kind that Terry Pratchet has been promoting for Alzheimer's. I desperately need light helmet treatment for a relative who is about to be forced to go into an old people's home. The Alzheimer's Society does not know how I can get hold of a light helmet. I do not know how I can contact Terry Pratchet, please could someone help me urgently?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site Brent Pigeon ad good luck with your quest to find the hat thing.

You might want to try contacting Terry through his agent, Colin Smythe. Please be patient as Terry is a man who is much in demand. :)

Jul 26, 2008
I know im a genius cant help it sometimes, something just comes over me and poooooooffffffffff there it is, im going to become a rocket scientist next ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
welcome to the site brent pigeon :) i dont know wether the light helmet will work but a placebo effect is proven to work, if you cant get a proper helmet try making a similar one yourself you never know the power of positive thinking

MattK

Lance-Corporal
Jul 2, 2009
Lancaster, PA
blog.mattkeen.com
Not to go too off-topic here, but I've been reading some articles recently about insulin resistance and Alzheimer's. Unfortunately I can only view the abstracts, but there are some good articles here, here, and here. Basically what they're saying is that insulin resistance, along with other factors that accompany diabetes like unwanted metabolites, can lead to a buildup of the type of plaque associated with Alzheimer's, and other neurological diseases. It can also mess with the equilibrium of certain needed chemicals that, when found in abundance in the blood, can have a detrimental effect on memory and cognitive function.

It's nothing fancy like a light helmet, but I figure a change in diet is a whole lot easier--and cheaper--to implement. All you really have to do is understand diabetes and what exactly a diabetic diet entails. If your relative is not insulin resistant (it doesn't even have to be diabetes), than that kind of throws this theory out the window. Unfortunately Alzheimer's is an incredibly complicated disease, and there are probably many underlying factors that can trigger it. I wish I knew more about it, but dietetics being my field of study I've only really looked at the insulin-resistance side of it.

If you like, I can give you some information about a diabetic diet and how insulin resistance works. I had many hours with diabetic patients during my internships. I'm working towards becoming a registered dietitian right now. I'm still a student, but I did do a good bit of work in the field when I got my 2-year degree.

User Menu

Newsletter