London to Discworld

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I was reading a little book called "The Bumper Book of London" recently. It's a fun little read, although it struck me as a little bit juvenile, because the writing seems to be aimed at kids and the illustrations were drawn by the authors' kids. :doh: Really, guys? Really? You couldn't get a professional? :doh:

Be that as it may, I found a few correlations between London and the Discworld, so I thought I'd share! :)

- The ghost of Anne Boleyn, beheaded for treason in 1536, is said to haunt the Tower of London, walking around the White Tower and carrying her head under her arm.

Now why does this remind me of a Shakespeare-related book... :think:

- Despite a history of terrible fires, London did not have a city-wide fire brigade until 1866.

Could it be that they learned from Ankh-Morpork's experiment with fire brigades? ;)

- Charles Dickens described the Thames as 'a dank, stinking sludge, the scene of murders and crime.' Dodger, anyone? ;)

- One day, a doctor called William Marsden found a poor young girl dying of cold in the churhyard at St Andrew's in Holborn. He couldn't find a hospital that would take her in and she died in his arms. He was so distressed by this episode that in 1828 he founded the Royal Free Hospital in the Gray's Inn Road, where the poor would be treated for free.

This reminds me of Hogfather for some reason... :think:

- London's first steam train was called Catch Me Who Can. It was demonstrated on a circular, funfair-style ride at Euston in 1808.

Why does this remind me of a certain book? *BWG*

I'm sure there are others, but these few come to mind right now. Do you know any? ;)

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Oh, I had always known that London was a clear reflection of Ankh-Morpork… Or was it the other way round? :p

Nevertheless, while reading Dodger I was especially surprised and found myself thinking all the time: “Oooh, so that’s what Pratchett was referring to when talking about this part of Ankh-Morpork…”

There are lots of examples (as you have already pointed out) but one I remember most is the clear representation in Ankh-Morpork of the subterranean buildings and streets over which London was built.

Mx

Ankh-Morpork has similarities to a number of cities.
In the Art of the Discworld Terry explains that Am has aspects of Tallinn and central Prague.
Budapest matches the joining of two separate cities. Buda on the west bank of the Danube and Pest on the east bank.
Ankh-Morpork is built on Ankh-Morpork which mirrors the history of Seattle.
The moniker The Big Wahoonie alludes to New York's The Big Apple.
The events in Night Watch are similar to the July Paris Revolution.

User Menu

Newsletter