Looking for Urban Fantasy books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Try Kelley Armsrong's Women of the Otherworld series starting with Bitten, she starts with werewolves and goes through the whole supernatural spectrum. My missus reads them and got me as a compramise for all the films I make her watch.

Google or Amazon Kelley Armstrong :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
The best of Urban Fantasy according to waterstones -

Storm Front
by Jim Butcher

Ill Wind
by Rachel Caine

Someone Comes
to Town, Someone
Leaves Town
by Cory Doctorow

American Gods
by Neil Gaiman

Black Magic Woman
by Justin Gustainis

Into the Nightside
by Simon R. Green

Moonheart
by Charles de Lint

Never the Bride
by Paul Magrs

Un Lun Dun
by China Miéville

The Good Fairies
of New York
by Martin Miller

American Gods is a particular favourite of mine.

Classification for Urban Fantasy Varies with some places using it to describe only the recent spate of Vampire Books set in modern life but it generally covers a much bigger Genre.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Also if the Vampire thing is the kick your looking for Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles predate and are superior to all the current stuff.
The Tale of the Body Thief is particularly good.

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
the simon r green book isnt an urban fantasy as its set in the nightside not in the real world, the weather warden books are quite good tho, ill wind by rachael caine, these are in the works at the mo going cheap

Beyond Birthday

Lance-Corporal
Nov 11, 2010
I have a copy of Good Omens. Like Neverwhere I read about half of it.

Oddly enough I don't like Good Omens much at all (which is hilarious considering it's the first Pratchett book I started reading). I hate the constant perspective shifts to characters I don't care about, I hate the long asides the book makes for gags that don't work for me (okay, the end of the world is funny. MOVE. ON.) and I don't like that one scene with that woman who kills everyone in a bar. That last part sounded like it was written for a non-existant movie adaptation.

I might finish it someday but probably only 'after' I've read every other book by Pratchett.

BaldFriede

Lance-Corporal
Nov 14, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Did you read the "Borribles" trilogy by Michael De Larrabeiti? The titles of the books are "The Borribles", "The Borribles Go for Broke" and "Across the Dark Metropolis". The trilogy is slightly different from the usual fantasy though, Actually I find the usual fantasy pretty boring; in the end the prince always saves the country and gets the princess, more or less.
Ursula K. Le Guin's "Left Hand of Darkness" is on the borderline between Fantasy and SF; definitely worth reading. it is VERY different. Only partially urban though because the two main characters have to flee across the country in a large part of the book.
And try the books of Walter Moers; he is even weirder than Pratchett. I am not sure all of them have been translated into English though, but at least "The City of Dreaming Books" has.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Tonyblack said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by urban fantasy, but if I think it's what I think it is, then how about Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman? :laugh:
Couldn't get on with that at all. Gave up about a quarter of the way through.

User Menu

Newsletter