Looking for Urban Fantasy books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 29, 2009
London
Thanks Pip, but having just read a review of the show, it still leaves me cold.

Dunno why.

I adore Good Omens. I read it at least once a year. Perhaps it's because Terry's involved? :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
fair enough. It is a bit hammy at parts. Try a few of the other Gaiman books though. American Gods is absolutely amazing and the graveyard book was one of my favourite books of the last year.

nickinwestwales

Lance-Constable
Jan 9, 2011
Good evening all,Heres some titles I have enjoyed:-Roofworld by Christopher Fowler,Perdido street station by China Mieville(in fact anything by him),all of Gaimans stuff,Ghormenghast(stretching a point-does a huge castle & environs constitute `urban`..? )
Hope these are of interest
ATB
Nick

BaldFriede

Lance-Corporal
Nov 14, 2010
Cologne, Germany
nickinwestwales said:
Good evening all,Heres some titles I have enjoyed:-Roofworld by Christopher Fowler,Perdido street station by China Mieville(in fact anything by him),all of Gaimans stuff,Ghormenghast(stretching a point-does a huge castle & environs constitute `urban`..? )
Hope these are of interest
ATB
Nick
Are you by any chance a lover of James Joyce's "Finnegan's Wake"? Or why the "HCE" reference?

nickinwestwales

Lance-Constable
Jan 9, 2011
Baldfriede:-First,many apologies for this rudely delayed answer:-little free time lately.....
So,in answer-no,have never attempted Joyce-far too dense for my simple tastes-I spend all day packing & posting books to people so when I pick one up to read I need it to make no demands of me.

The HCE reference comes from the basic structure of the books-all the characters live in close proximity to each other,in an ancient rotting castle set in an empty area of land,It creates an `Urban`atmosphere.they are all forced to interact with each other

ATB

Nick

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
American Gods and Neverwhere (especially the former) by Neil Gaiman impressed me as urban fantasy literature. Would the Artemis Fowl books count?

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
These are all urban novels and anthologies they are all American editions
Borderland - Mark Alan Arnold and Terri Windling
Bordertown- Mark Alan Arnold and Terri Windling
Life on the Border - Terri Windling
Essential Bordertown- Delia Sherman and Terri Windling
Nevernever – Will Shettery
Elsewhere - Will Shettery

Series by Kim Harrison
Rachel Morgan: The Hollows urban fiction in Cincinnati
1. Dead Witch Walking (2004)
2. The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (2005)
3. Every Which Way But Dead (2005)
4. A Fistful of Charms (2006)
5. For a Few Demons More (2007)
6. The Outlaw Demon Wails (2008)
aka Where Demons Dare
7. White Witch, Black Curse (2009)
8. Black Magic Sanction (2010)
9. Pale Demon (2011)
should keep you going for a while. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter