Maurice

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I don't have any of those services, but the way stuff has been showing up on Youtube lately, I may get to see it in bits and pieces.
There's a fan theory that David Tennant may play Dangerous Beans, having done that role in a radio version. If so, I wonder what accent he'll use. I can't quite imagine Dangerous Beans being Scots, so i think it'll be something else. What would be the "correct" accent for self-educated rats from the garbage dump of a prestigious institution like Unseen University?

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
They are in Ankh-Morpork. The miscellaneous unnamed rats will probably be slightly Mockney. I'm expecting old Ham'n'Pork (iirc) to use an estuary accent. Dangerous Beans will have an Oxbridge accent, as will Peaches. The rest will probably have variations on RP.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
That description seems about right, though I am no expert.
Estuary has some elements in common with what I am accustomed to hearing in the US, but the vowels are more like RP.
I have the impression that Oxbridge is RP with added 'posh' on the vowels, and possibly more clipped.
You're familiar with Flanders and Swann: remember the introduction to a song in which Flanders briefly discusses pronunciation, winding up by mentioning his "hat" or "hort" - "hat" is RP, "hort" is Oxbridge.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
That's it. Or they might go with "mid-Atlantic" which is the blended accent, halfway between British and American, often used in films.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
No, there's actually a specific accent that is taught to actors that is a blend, somewhere between RP and midwestern-bland USA. It's called Mid-Atlantic because it is presumed to blend in the middle of the ocean.

User Menu

Newsletter