Metallica in Lego

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
I am not able to watch anything that can't be viewed at 24kbps with my crappy isp.

I only saw Metallica once about 17 years ago and never was more appalled at the way they treat their audience, as in cutting off sales of beer and then spewing mouthfuls of it and pitchers of it onto their gleefull front row folks and telling the audience in no uncertain terms that they were nothing but wormfood and not worthy of the honor of watching them perform. I dislike them intensely as humans but a few of their songs merit some listening to. Lars Ulrich's claim that music downloading was stealing from him personally makes me like the idea more and more and I am dead set against stealing. I am sure the video is cute with legos, but I just despise the band and find them a waste of good oxygen, food and everything else they consume. :steps off soapbox:

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
I am not able to watch anything that can't be viewed at 24kbps with my crappy isp.

I only saw Metallica once about 17 years ago and never was more appalled at the way they treat their audience, as in cutting off sales of beer and then spewing mouthfuls of it and pitchers of it onto their gleefull front row folks and telling the audience in no uncertain terms that they were nothing but wormfood and not worthy of the honor of watching them perform. I dislike them intensely as humans but a few of their songs merit some listening to. Lars Ulrich's claim that music downloading was stealing from him personally makes me like the idea more and more and I am dead set against stealing. I am sure the video is cute with legos, but I just despise the band and find them a waste of good oxygen, food and everything else they consume. :steps off soapbox:
I saw them in '89 on the And Justice Tour and later on the black album tour and a few years later at a big outdoor gig and every time they were entertaining. I've never heard them treat the crowd the way you describe. That is out of order. I think they went through a real bad patch though. James Hetfield went into rehab for a while and they released a couple of really bad albums. If you get chance to see the documentary Some Kind Of Monster it shows just how messed up and petty they became. The last couple of albums St Anger and Death Magnetic are while not up there with Master of Puppets are not bad.

I just remembered back in the days of Napster the drummer went on a personal rampage to sue anyone that downloaded any of his music. I know artists have a right to protect their income but it showed him up as a petty money grabbing little git.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Would it surprise you to hear that Metallica were my favourite band as a teenager? :p Although I never really stopped liking them, I stopped listening to them when they got rubbish & never got round to replacing my vinyls with CDs. I think I'd been married a couple of years when Harvester of Sorrow came on the car radio & I sang every word - Mr Dotsie was so surprised he nearly crashed the car :laugh:

I have them on CD now (but only the early ones ;) )

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
If we're talking heavy metal then;

My first live concert was Motorhead on the Bomber tour.
My second was Zeppelin at Knebworth.
I saw Iron Maiden 4 times when before Bruce became lead singer.
I saw AC/DC with Bon Scott.
My favourite heavy metal song was Lights Out by UFO.
Favourite guitarist was Michael Schenker.

But at the age of 21 I got into indy music and have been ever since.

Metallica was aftermy time.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Yeah pooh, but you actually looked like you were into that sort of music :p I was quite girly as a teen. I mean, you can't go to a Metallica concert in a pastel coloured Benetton sweatshirt :laugh:

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
First gig was Magnum in 1988 supported by Kingdom Come

Monsters of Rock 1988 (where two fans were crushed to death during Guns 'n' Roses - that was quite scary).

Also saw: WASP, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Guns 'n' Roses, Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead, Slayer, Aerosmith, Meatloaf

Non-metal: The Cure, Jesus Jones (10 times - spent a busy couple of weeks seeing them every night!), Ned's atomic dustbin, Silverfish.

I am sure there are loads more that I've missed.

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
Dotsie said:
Yeah pooh, but you actually looked like you were into that sort of music :p I was quite girly as a teen. I mean, you can't go to a Metallica concert in a pastel coloured Benetton sweatshirt :laugh:
I don't see why not. Motorhead made a video of their 25th Anniversary gig. My mate was wearing a light-purple Wallace and Gromit T-shirt. Made us easy to see in the crowd.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Jason I have to disagree. There's a world of difference between a (hairy?) bloke in a Wallace & Gromit T-shirt, & this...

And anyway, I didn't have anyone to go with :cry: :oops:

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Jason said:
Non-metal: The Cure, Jesus Jones (10 times - spent a busy couple of weeks seeing them every night!), Ned's atomic dustbin, Silverfish.
God Fodder by NED. What a good album! Saw them at Reading in 1995 along with Rage Against the Machine.

True story;

I saw the Cure at Newcastle Poly in 1980 when Three Imaginary Boys came out. There weren't many people there. As they were playing, someone threw a can on the stage. Robert looked up but carried on playing. Another can can was thrown, Robert looked up but carried on playing. Then another can, Robert had a word with the other guitarist and drummer while still playing. At the end of the song, the three of them leapt into the crowd, gave the can thrower a quick seeing to, then got back on stage and played "Killing an Arab" (which isn't as offensive as it sounds).

Jason said:
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:

I saw them in '89 on the And Justice Tour and later on the black album tour and a few years later at a big outdoor gig and every time they were entertaining. I've never heard them treat the crowd the way you describe. That is out of order. I think they went through a real bad patch though. James Hetfield went into rehab for a while and they released a couple of really bad albums. If you get chance to see the documentary Some Kind Of Monster it shows just how messed up and petty they became. The last couple of albums St Anger and Death Magnetic are while not up there with Master of Puppets are not bad.

I just remembered back in the days of Napster the drummer went on a personal rampage to sue anyone that downloaded any of his music. I know artists have a right to protect their income but it showed him up as a petty money grabbing little git.
ahh, I was so BLASTED by their Hatred of anything but themselves at that show that I allowed myself to be blinded to anything after that. Thank you for the information Jason. It helps to know a tad more. :) p.s. I Do like The Unforgiven III

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
You cheeky pair you both need spanking! It was the 80's. All my friends looked like that 8)

User Menu

Newsletter