Mogworld, by Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Okay, so, who here has read it, and who here wants to?

This, by the way, is a fantasy comedy novel by the creator of the Zero Punctuation videos, Ben Croshaw, aka Yahtzee. It's about a student mage called Jim in a fantasy world who is killed, only to be brought back to life by a megalomaniacal necromancer. Problem is, there are strange things happening to the world. Death no longer happens properly, neither does aging, time has gone weird, and some adventurers have a strange syndrome that has them moving and talking mechanically, as well as gradually ceasing to move. And then, there are the strange angel-like beings whom Jim dubs the Deleters, capable of destroying anything in the world, and who have apparently recruited a pastor, Barry, to do the work of a god-like being called Si-Mon.

Now, the twist is pretty much spoiled on the backcover. Jim's world is actually an online RPG like World of Warcraft, currently undergoing beta testing, and the real Simon is a rather lazy but cunning and plagiarising programmer who decides to use the AIs that the development team created for his own gain.

Very Pratchettian in concept, but ultimately its own beast. Pratchett isn't as scatological, anyway.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Excuse me, I'm the only one allowed to derail threads on this BBS. I'll have you lot on demarcation charges!

Anyway, back on topic. Mogworld. Very good book, highly recommended to fans of Pratchett.

Here's the preview at Dark Horse Publishing. The preview is actually from about halfway into the book, but it's still good.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Not really. Croshaw's written more novels, but the second one, Jam, while an interesting post-apocalyptic pi**-take, didn't grab me. I haven't read his later books, though I intend to.

User Menu

Newsletter