More info on a quote

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

V1ktor

Jun 20, 2009
I'm writing an article and I read a quote by Terry Pratchett some time ago that I want to include in the article but I can't find information about this quote. I need to know where it's from. Is it from a book, which one; or is it something he said during an interview or in an article?

I would appreciate any information.

"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing."

Thanks,
Viktor

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
I'm sure I've read that recently. I think it's a quote from either Wee Free Men or Fifth Elephant.

Batty's usually the expert quoter, where is she?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've been Googling the quote and trying to find which book it's in. A lot of people on the Internet have quoted it and accredited to Terry, but no one (that I could find) had said which book it was from.

Sorry, I haven't a clue off hand.

Welcome to the site V1ktor. :laugh:

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
I've been trawling through the books and I can't find that quote, V1ktor.
I haven't got all of the books pertaining to Discworld though. For instance, I haven't purchased the science books or the diaries etc., but I'm beginning to believe that it was something that Terry spoke in an interview or at a function, or something - in which case you may not find the original source.

If anyone does find the answer, then I will be interested to know where the quote came from.

Omnia

Constable
May 28, 2009
Essex
I'm pretty sure that is something that Vimes has said, so I'm guessing it's from a Watch book. Couldn't tell you which one though :oops:

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
Who's Wee Dug said:
You could check "The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld" which has favourite Quotations from the Discworld Universe.
I have done. Every single page ...

Have you ever tried to quickly read a book, when you keep laughing at all the quotes?

Mar 12, 2009
Darkest West Sussex
WeeKelda said:
Can someone find a quote about how Ankh-Morpork was founded? I can't find it!
Can't find a quote, but I think it was founded by twins raised by a Hippo.

When I say 'it', at one point in Guards! Guards! (early on in the book) there is a reference to the twin cities of Ankh and Mopork. I'm sure there are other references elsewhere, but can't remember where.

Other (wiser) of those here present might be better placed to help.

cols

Lance-Corporal
Nov 5, 2008
ireland
I went through the Wit and Wisdom of discworld twice and I can't find it :( also checked some sites with quotes from each book still can't source it but it is listed on loads of sites as a favourite TP quote.

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
As I haven't been able to find the source of this oft repeated quote, I took the liberty of e-mailing Colin Smythe, who very kindly checked on his database for me.

He wasn't able to find the quote on his database at all, although he admitted that in spite of the fact that he has all the Discworld novels on file, that there are some of the YA he doesn't have, nor the three pre-Discworld novels.

Colin's kindness at (not only) humouring me, but actually taking the time to check his database has totally blown me away. If Colin doesn't think that it is a Prattetism, then I'm inclined to believe him!

AM

Constable
Oct 22, 2009
Sweden
V1ktor said:
I'm writing an article and I read a quote by Terry Pratchett some time ago that I want to include in the article but I can't find information about this quote. I need to know where it's from. Is it from a book, which one; or is it something he said during an interview or in an article?

I would appreciate any information.

"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing."

Thanks,
Viktor
I found the quote in Jingo. :)

It wasn´t proper police work, Vimes considered, unless you were doing something that someone somewhere would much rather tou weren´t doing
It is not exactly the same but I hope it will be good enough.

User Menu

Newsletter