SPOILERS Mort Discussion *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

ZFR77

May 20, 2024
Ireland
OK, thanks. I guess I was looking for some specific promise Mort made. While Albert did say that Mort has to do his duty, Mort never promised anything, not even implicitly.

But I guess that has to be the explanation, I went throgh all Mort-Albert interactions and didn't find anything that fits better.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Terry does that to us! I must have read all the books at least four times, and I still discover new things each time. Sometimes I go down a rabbit hole trying to understand a deeper meaning, only to discover that maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, or that Terry has got one over on me . . . again!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I don't think Terry (or Mort) had to explicitly tell us everything. :) I think we can read between the lines: Mort is a solid, honest lad. Honesty is down into his bones.

Albert is cantankerous old geezer, who would never do Mort a favour, just because he likes Mort so much. ;) (And he doesn't.) That's just something that would never, ever happen.

Albert doesn't write the spell down as a favour, to be repaid later. He explicitly says: "You have to do the Duty first." So Mort, being the honest, hardworking lad that he is, tries to do the Duty first and THEN save Keli. But he runs out of time. That's all. :)

ZFR77

May 20, 2024
Ireland
Terry does that to us! I must have read all the books at least four times, and I still discover new things each time. Sometimes I go down a rabbit hole trying to understand a deeper meaning, only to discover that maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, or that Terry has got one over on me . . . again!
Exactly. It's one of those really minor issues that nevertheless sometimes keep nagging me: Did I miss something deeper here? Did Terry Pratchett make some obscure reference that I'm not getting? Or is the cigar just a cigar?

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Mort is a very early book. Terry said later that he had just discovered the joy of plot (a bit of an exaggeration, given the number of books he had already published), but he was writing fast and there are some holes here and there.

User Menu

Newsletter