Music Help!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm going crazy trying to recognise a piece of music that was used in the BBC drama documentary: 'Spanish Flu - The Forgotten Fallen' that was on last night.

You can hear the piece of music HERE.

I'm fairly sure it's a Vaughan-Williams piece and I have loads of recordings of his music, but am drawing a blank. I know this piece so well, but can't think what it is. :oops:

I would appreciate any help in tracking it down. :)

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Tonyblack said:
I'm going crazy trying to recognise a piece of music that was used in the BBC drama documentary: 'Spanish Flu - The Forgotten Fallen' that was on last night.

You can hear the piece of music HERE.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Okay that made me cry.

Edit: The music sounds Irish.

Edit: "We Heard The Bells"

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
One final detail underlined the exceptional quality of this programme. Instead of drenching Peter Harness’s script in a synthesised score, Hardy used extracts from classical masterpieces: Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition for bustling at the town hall and the sublime slow movement of Schubert’s Last Piano Sonata for the dying rooms. What an eerily clever choice: music written by a man facing death in his early 30s. That was the age group preferred by the Spanish flu, which turned the strong immune systems of healthy young people against them. As Niven observed: “It likes a fight.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... eview.html

Much better... but wait there is MORE.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
:eek:

Bugger! NOW you tell me!

Go look for it yourself! You know... SEARCH!.... hunt for it over and over again.... looking in every corner, every little nook and smiley.... er.... I mean... cranny! Yes! How do YOU like it!!!!!

EDIT: Get a copy of the show and watch the credits :laugh:

OR

That original link you put up? Its got a "Contact Us" part on it. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
deldaisy said:
:eek:

Bugger! NOW you tell me!

Go look for it yourself! You know... SEARCH!.... hunt for it over and over again.... looking in every corner, every little nook and smiley.... er.... I mean... cranny! Yes! How do YOU like it!!!!!

EDIT: Get a copy of the show and watch the credits :laugh:

OR

That original link you put up? Its got a "Contact Us" part on it. :laugh:
Bless you! :laugh: I do appreciate your help, but I'd searched for ages this morning without any luck and was hoping someone here would know what it was. :laugh:

Teppic

Lance-Corporal
Jan 29, 2011
Outskirts of Londinium
No worries. I can't say I know it that well but I do have it on CD (a box set along with the symphonies).

The musipedia site I posted last week was a fat lot of good. Played in the melody and got nowhere with that. Though I've since checked and it is actually on there.

A Google search for "vaughan williams viola solo opening" did the trick in the end.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've literally got dozens of Vaughan Williams recordings. I've got a box set of all the symphonies (although Flos Campi isn't on it). He's my favourite composer. When I heard the piece on the TV I thought 'VW' but couldn't place it and then got unsure about whether it was him or not.

Needless to say, I dug out my new CD and I am playing it at the moment. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter