My life, my death, my choice...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Feb 3, 2010
Glasgow
I don't think that the arguement is that they have no idea how to end their lives. Terry himself stated in the debate the way he wishes to go. (it was at that point that I broke down in tears. It sounds so beautiful)
It would be the fact that without the assisted death legislation being in place the death certificate would record the death as suicide. It would be harrowing to the family and all concerned and, in Terry's case and those in the public eye, that is the way the media would convay it to the public.
Not to mention the fact that people in this position should not have to resort to looking up websites just to find out what is the quickest, painless and least destressing way in which to bring their life to an end.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
I guess what I was thinking when I wrote that, was that there must be some reason other than the law that prevents suicide.

The main things that I can think of are:
1. Family (feelings & opinions)
2. Life insurance policies (which almost never cover death by suicide)
3. Fear (or, perhaps, shame?)
4. Knowledge
5. The law

The actual law I think is a pretty minor hurtle, seeing as you're pretty much beyond punishment, though it would be a big factor in assisted suicide.

Knowledge wouldn't be hard to get. I don't get the "they shouldn't have to go to a website" thing. If there were official assisted suicide doctors, wouldn't you still go to websites to research who's a reputable doctor?

I think the main disuading factors are the family's feelings and opinions, and the desire to help provide for your children in the form of any life insurance policy that you might have.

I think the biggest benefits of assisted suicide are the communication they help provide between parents & children, and the companionship during the procedure. I think that close communication with those you would leave behind is very important.

On a strange side-note, this topic made me learn something new. I used to live in San Diego and visited Tijuana every couple of months for the cheap shopping, dancing, and beer. I knew that a lot of people crossed the border to get low-cost perscription drugs, but I had no idea that there were "euthanasia shops" that sold pentobarbital (the drug used to put dogs to sleep) to tourists!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/21/world ... juana.html
http://www.globalaging.org/elderrights/ ... urists.htm

Still, if it were me, I don't think I'd use an injection. Why spend your last minute on Earth sticking a sharp piece of metal into your arm? I think I'd probably use an oxygen mask and inhale nitrous oxide (laughing gas) until I went to sleep. Now that sounds like a fun way to go!

Marianne

Lance-Constable
Feb 7, 2010
Switzerland
I found it extremely moving- it said (rather: Terry said...) everything I feel about the subject, but so much better. I feel very very lucky to live in Switzerland, a country where I would be allowed to die in dignity in my own home - or garden - with the help and support of my loved ones- without fearing that they would risk prosecution. I so hope Terry will be able to chose his own time and way, and my heart goes to him and his family.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Marianne said:
I found it extremely moving- it said (rather: Terry said...) everything I feel about the subject, but so much better. I feel very very lucky to live in Switzerland, a country where I would be allowed to die in dignity in my own home - or garden - with the help and support of my loved ones- without fearing that they would risk prosecution. I so hope Terry will be able to chose his own time and way, and my heart goes to him and his family.
Welcome to the site Marianne! :) It really was a very moving lecture.

I know about "covert illness". My Graves is so advanced that it affects me a lot, inside, and outside it just looks to people that I am overweight and don't move a lot. Unless I die in my sleep, I hope to be able to make the transition in my own manner of choosing. I hope that the civilised world will make the right choices soon.

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
I just wanted to say that I agree with you all and I hope assisted suicide becomes legal and not only in the uk. Even in Switzerland many people still object. They say things like "it's unnessecary" or "It's inhumain". I'd like to ask: What's inhumain? Letting someone who is in pain die or force him to live against his will?

And hugs from me too, Tina!

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Tina: Big hugs from me too!

Cheery said:
Even in Switzerland many people still object. They say things like "it's unnessecary" or "It's inhumain". I'd like to ask: What's inhumain? Letting someone who is in pain die or force him to live against his will?
In the UK, if someone deliberately left an animal in pain or incapacitated they would end up in court charged with cruelty. Why aren't humans afforded the same degree of consideration and dignity of animals? I think someone said something like this in another thread but I think its worth repeating.

Marianne

Lance-Constable
Feb 7, 2010
Switzerland
Indeed Penfold. And big hugs for Tina too.

Some people do object in Switzerland - but the main thing is that the Law is with the sufferer and his/her family. Sadly, the topic of so-called 'death tourism'
is increasingly objected to. It is tragic that people have to come here to die, instead of staying in their own home, in the Uk or elsewhere.

Feb 3, 2010
Glasgow
Well said Penfold.

We are so much kinder to our animals. My family had a dog a good few years ago who came down with a brain disease that caused him to lose the full use of his hind legs. On having long discussions with our vet and hearing the long term effects, we made the difficult choice to let him go.

The thing that decided it for my Dad was hearing that he was in pain that to keep him out of pain, he would be pretty much doped up all the time and have a very poor quality of life.

We made that choice for him. I like to think that he would have made the same choice.

I think that the majority of people who have ever had a pet that they have loved and adored has been in that situation. So why can't they have the same feelings to those in the same or similar situation where the only difference is their species?

Mx

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
I think the simple reason is the difference between animal and human. A human life for us is more worth than the life of an animal so people find it easier to let go of a suffering animal. A human, even if he's suffering, we'd rather keep him alive as long as we could than letting him go because we are afraid of living without him. The fear of death and the thought that death is bad is so deep in us that even the law says that people aren't allowed to die if they want to. Even if it's better that way. I'm not encouriging self murder here, but people should be able to decide themselves.
And I'm not just talking about people with uncurable diseases. There are also people who go to the assisted suicide clinic who are not sick, "insane" how a lot of people put it or depressed. They have lived a nice life with a good job, many friends ecetera and they'd just decided that now was the time to go. People should be able to do that everywhere.

I know I'm repeating myself and others here, but I just wanted to say it. It makes me sad to see that people who don't want anymore have to struggle. :(

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Tonyblack said:
Marianne said:
Welcome to the site Marianne! :) It really was a very moving lecture.
Yes, I'm quit frustrated that I can't see it.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Been crazy busy these last few days, but finally got to see it when I woke up at 3:30 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep :rolleyes:

Cried all the way through :oops:

User Menu

Newsletter