Name new element 117 Octarine in honour of Terry Pratchett'

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Re: Name new element 117 Octarine in honour of Terry Pratch

Personally, I think when the census comes around again, we should all answer the question 'what is your religion' with "Pratchettism" and have the Creator properly deified. :laugh:

Nov 21, 2010

Who's Wee Dug said:
Their suggested abbreviation for the element would be Oc, pronounced “ook” – a reference to the Librarian of Unseen University, a recurring character in Pratchett’s novels who was transformed into an orangutan after a magical accident.
:laugh:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria

Hmmm, I'm confused. I thought this petition only needed 10,000 signatures to be accepted? o_O Now it says that it needs 36,000. What the heck?

Also, I signed this petition a few days ago, but when I look at it again, it says that I can sign again. Hmm? :think: o_O

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia

What an idea! Of course I’ve just signed! :clap:

Rath, this is how Change.org works. It increases the number of signs needed every time the maximum is reached. I’m not sure there’s a limit… Until the petition is accepted, I guess.

Oh, and the signing option is always there, but you should sign like another person for your vote to be valid. ;)

Mx

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia

I also received the petition update! Wow, what a magic causality! I couldn't stop smiling! :laugh:

[The Chronicle Flask] Thank you to everyone who's supported this petition! Articles have been written about it in several national newspapers. It's even had a mention in Nature Chemistry, where the odds of octarine being chosen as an element name have been 'officially' quoted as 1,000,000:1. As we all know, million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten, so you never know... ;)
Mx

User Menu

Newsletter