Nanny Ogg's cooking book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I don't often make porridge (not enough time in the morning before work), so I have to wonder: why is the "milk but no water" thing peculiar to Scotland? *shrug*

When I do make porridge, I add just enough boiling water to cover the oats, add milk to taste, nuke it for 20 seconds, leave to cool, then add a little more milk and a spoonful of honey, and eat. *shrug* Is that wrong?

By the way, I'm not sure why there's a stereotype that Scots deep-fry many things. Yes, I've heard about the deep-fried Mars bar (which sounds gross to me - but then, I loathe Mars bars). But why does this stereotype exist? I'm confused. :confused:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Rath, where did you get the idea that porridge is made with milk in Scotland it's not! but mainly water some milk can be added if you want a thicker consistency, and no sugar in the cooking only salt brings out the flavour, but if you have a sweet tooth sugar or other may be added after it has been plated up.
The ratio is 2.5 times the amount of oats used i.e. 2.5 cups of water, I use 2 cups water to half cup of milk as I like it thick I don't use a microwave oven to cook it, but on top of a hob so I can see it when it is thick enough.
I don't have it very often spring to autumn mainly a winter dish.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Rath, where did you get the idea that porridge is made with milk in Scotland it's not! but mainly water some milk can be added if you want a thicker consistency, and no sugar in the cooking only salt brings out the flavour, but if you have a sweet tooth sugar or other may be added after it has been plated up.
The ratio is 2.5 times the amount of oats used i.e. 2.5 cups of water, I use 2 cups water to half cup of milk as I like it thick I don't use a microwave oven to cook it, but on top of a hob so I can see it when it is thick enough.
I don't have it very often spring to autumn mainly a winter dish.
Where, oh where did I get it...? *points to Tony's post, above* ;)

If Tony is avoiding the "No True Scotsman" fallacy by making porridge with water rather than milk, that means that a true Scotsman makes porridge with milk. Or did I fail Logic? :eek: It's possible -- it's nearly midnight here, and I'm bone-tired.

Anyway ... porridge is like sandwiches -- it can be made any way you like it. :) Water, milk, sugar, no sugar, honey, no honey ... there's no accounting for taste. (I like adding raisins and finely-crushed walnuts to my porridge, but that's just me). :)

Rath the super traditional Scottish way of cooking porridge is to deep fry it
preferably whilst it's still in the bowl
:mrgreen:
*snerk!* That was the other thing I didn't "get" about the "deep-fried" stereotype -- not until I read this, written by a Glaswegian. Now I get it! ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Where, oh where did I get it...? *points to Tony's post, above* ;)

If Tony is avoiding the "No True Scotsman" fallacy by making porridge with water rather than milk, that means that a true Scotsman makes porridge with milk. Or did I fail Logic? :eek: It's possible -- it's nearly midnight here, and I'm bone-tired.

Anyway ... porridge is like sandwiches -- it can be made any way you like it. :) Water, milk, sugar, no sugar, honey, no honey ... there's no accounting for taste. (I like adding raisins and finely-crushed walnuts to my porridge, but that's just me). :)

*snerk!* That was the other thing I didn't "get" about the "deep-fried" stereotype -- not until I read this, written by a Glaswegian. Now I get it! ;)
Yes you failed Rath! I will believe you're tired, (maybe thousands wouldn't);):laugh: uisge it is.

User Menu

Newsletter