Nation - No plot spoilers

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Sep 22, 2008
Hampshire
Tonyblack said:
I couldn't agree more about Nation. It's an incredibly thoughtful book and I'll certianly read it again and again.

Welcome to the site GritTypeThynne. :laugh:
Thank you. I used to be very active on alt.fan.pratchett in the old days, but I eventually gave up when it became swamped by Merkins. Originally it was a fantastic forum with TP himself contributing on a regular basis. Lots of good natured banter and Newbie bating :laugh:

I watched the interview by TP about Nation and I found that I was really in tune with a lot of what he said. The skill with which the ideas are assembled and expressed and the overall balance is extraordinary. I can see why he felt that it had to be put on paper.

I fear that Nation will not receive universal recognition and praise it deserves. It does require a certain open-mindedness and self searching which is not widely present in the 'Great Unwashed'.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just looked up 'Merkin' online (and had a PM from Dotsie ;) ).

The definition was:

A merkin (first use, according to the OED, 1617) is a pubic wig, originally worn by prostitutes after shaving their genitalia to eliminate lice or disguise the marks of syphilis.
In that case I'm not at all surprised you left alt.fan.pratchett. I think I would have if I'd been swamped by them as well. :eek:

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
chris.ph said:
come on then i dont know what it means either somebody please pm me the answer :)
Uh.. Tony posted it in this thread, scroll up just a little bit. :p

Or just look at the quote below ;)

TonyBlack said:
A merkin (first use, according to the OED, 1617) is a pubic wig, originally worn by prostitutes after shaving their genitalia to eliminate lice or disguise the marks of syphilis.

Tash

Jul 27, 2008
South Wales
I've just finished Nation (started it last night and only put it down because I fell asleep) and 'Wow'. Yes I admit I cried. Not done that with one of Terry's book before. It really does make you think.

And after reading the other posts, think I probably should make a effort to read Charlotte's Web.

Colin

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
North Warwickshire
silverstreak said:
Catch-up said:
Still waiting for Nation to come out here. Five days to go! :laugh:
I envy you.I haven't got that warm amber glow of anticipation any more.
Read it again, silverstreak ... I did (as I always do) and discovered so much I had not picked up on first time round. It's better the second time around!

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Tash said:
I've just finished Nation (started it last night and only put it down because I fell asleep) and 'Wow'. Yes I admit I cried. Not done that with one of Terry's book before. It really does make you think.

And after reading the other posts, think I probably should make a effort to read Charlotte's Web.
OH! The Calormene God is from Wales, fancy that! j/k ;)
Welcome Tash.

I liked Charlotte's Web as a child, but I doubt I'd like it so much now. If you haven't read it yet, it might not live up to your expectations, then again it might. Though Templeton is and always will be great! :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter