Nation - No plot spoilers

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 26, 2008
I just thought id let you know, that in WHSmiths in the airport, well i know in manchester airport and dublin airport, they have Nation as a large format Paperback which theyre calling airport editions, so herers another one for the collection :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The_Discworldaholic said:
I just thought id let you know, that in WHSmiths in the airport, well i know in manchester airport and dublin airport, they have Nation as a large format Paperback which theyre calling airport editions, so herers another one for the collection :laugh:
:laugh: I'm glad I'm not a serious collector of the books. :rolleyes:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I wouldn't be able to keep up either. :laugh: Well, Nation has hit the stores here as of yesterday (as far as I know), and it doesn't look like I'll be getting out to get one anytime soon. :( Thing 1 is home with an awful cold. :(

Jul 26, 2008
Tonyblack said:

Im not a serious collector.......... im an adicted adict........... no im not i dont really collect books............. well maybe just one or two............. actually whats a book............ When the next one comming out? how many different editions are there going to be?........... ummmmmm i think ive got a problem............ Is there something akin to AA for book collectors :cry: :laugh: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

catrine

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Tonyblack said:

Im not a serious collector.......... im an adicted adict........... no im not i dont really collect books............. well maybe just one or two............. actually whats a book............ When the next one comming out? how many different editions are there going to be?........... ummmmmm i think ive got a problem............ Is there something akin to AA for book collectors :cry: :laugh: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:
you just hand over the credit card

Yes i am addicted and have been for over 10 years - it has been 1 day since i bought my last version of Nation that now means i have 5 and i still haven't actually read it :eek: :rolleyes:

Jul 26, 2008
5 blimmey, ive only got 4 so far and i know there two more i aint got, the UK proof and the special edition that waterstones is doing, i think that one will be in a black adult cover and i believe its hardback but someone correct me if im wrong, ive not been able to check waterstones out yet asive only got back from ireland last night and im on the road tonight in Barrow in furness :(

Jul 26, 2008
Yep :laugh:
1.American ARC
2. UK Proof
3. Ltd edition 275 copies
4. Hardback normal UK and US editions
5. Airport edition large format Pb
6. Special edition Hb in adult cover exclusive to Waterstones (dont know if its out yet but it is comming)

Just checked its out 1st nov, heres a link. http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesw ... ku=6413895

So that means is there another edition i dont know about? :eek: o_O Catrine, can you enlighten us please?

Jul 26, 2008
yep your right i should of added that one to the list too, and i wouldnt be surprised if some of the european releases could have different art work on the covers will have to check that out.

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Just finished it finally last Night, not to keen on it............ not one of His best but then again I prefer The Discworld novels.

Give me a Watch Book any day of the Week and I am like a Pig in *hit, happy as can be............ :)

Beren Erchamion said:
I am a long standing Pratchett reader, been on board right from the start of the disc.

I just wanted to say, (being a thick skinned 38 year old cynical git usually)

Until I read Nation, I never cried while reading a book. Until 'Today' (the chapter)

brilliant, haunting, and profoundly moving book, maybe my favorite so far.

camlost.
Hi - I'm new too and I cried too! I loved this new book. It's definitely my favourite so far! :laugh:

I have to admit That I wasn't sure if I was going to like it (I'm a Discworld Fan) but I LOVED it from the moment I opened the cover! All of his usual excellent writing and witticisms and quirky view points, but the characterisation of the 'Demon Boy' and the 'Ghost Girl' are just wonderful. And of course I cried!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome coppertopchopperhopper! :laugh:

Some people here didn't much care for the book, but I thought it was one of Terry's best. Just goes to show that we aren't all the same. ;)

Thank you for the welcome Tonyblack and yes I had read some of the comments saying they didn't like this book as much, but what's not to like???

I don't get it, but I guess you're right. We all like different things. Luckily Terry's books offer us a LOT of choice!

p.s. I have a Pratchett shaped hole to fill now that I've finished 'Nation' so I started re-reading 'Guards Guards' again last night. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
One thing I would always say about Terry's books is that they need to be reread over and over. I've always found that I pick up new things and comments that passed me by the first time and Tery's books are also multi-layered and sometimes takes a while to get to. :)

Nov 6, 2009
Morbihan France
Nation

Just finished Nation. I too found it a very moving book. It contains Terry Pratchetts' amazing insights into cultures ancient and modern. I personally think that it is far too important a book to be permanently labelled a "childrens' book." In many respects it is the 21st century equivalent of Gullivers Travels. Superficially it is like a fairy tale but, intrinsically within this structure is an immense critique of superstition and Nationhood itself.
I think this book should be placed on the reading list of the University of Life.

User Menu

Newsletter