Nation

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

turtle

Lance-Constable
Apr 5, 2010
Hi, I am a new fan of Terry Pratchetts novels. Therefore, I read some books and even made Sir Terry to my special subject. But as a matter of a fact I am not gifted in English and that is why I am not able to write a good interpretation about "Nation". I really enjoied reading his book, but please help me to create a good interpretation. I also need a characteristic of Mau and the trouserman girl. I am desperate, because I dont know what to do so please help me!! :rolleyes:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site turtle. :laugh: I think your English is very good indeed.

Mau is someone who has grown up with unshakable beliefs - his island, his family and his gods have always been very much a part of who he is. Then all that is destroyed and he asks himself why his gods would do that.

He then discovers that even the gods he believed is were false and he has to get rid of his old beliefs and try to create a world that actually works for him personally - and for his new Nation that he is chief of.

Daphne likewise, has to abandon the prejudices that she's been brought up with and see the people she is with as human beings rather then the 'savages' her grandmother would have thought of them as. She learns that people are people where ever they live and whatever they believe in.

For both of them the book is a voyage of discovery - not just of the island, but of themselves as well. They learn who they really are and what they really believe.

I hope that helps. :)

turtle

Lance-Constable
Apr 5, 2010
turtle said:
Hey I am back ^^ I am like a tourist on the discword on this forum. Rincewind:"tourist means stupid guy!" and that how it is. Actually, I am trying to interpetate Sir Terrys first Discworld novel.
First of all I would say that Ankh-Morpork is like a huge city likewise New York or Berlin. By the way, I am from upper Austria so... Moreover, I would say that Ankk-Morpork is the playball of the gods. Lady Luck controls Rincewind and Twoflower... The controlling of the gods maybe emphasises that people in lower classes are also controlled like marionettes by rich people. Well what else, in my opinion it is ver difficult to interpret this book, maybe its just difficult for me. Or its just too late ^^ It´s 11:23 pm in Europe... please I need a interpretation on the colour of magic
Finally, thanks Tonyblack for answering so quickly(you are my hero)
:) :laugh:

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter