New book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
*LOL* Love the Tropnecian invasion of Britain. :) But ... Vikings??? What are Vikings doing in England in 411 AD? I thought the Vikings didn't arrive there until 793 AD, and all that? ;)

Never mind. It's funny :)

I find it intriguing that the Guardian has picked up this news now... when the book was announced back in April. If they'd posted about it then, fine. If they post about it when it's published in September, fine. But why have a news article in July which is half way between when the book was announced and when it's going to be published?

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Not sure, Molokov. Maybe to raise awareness of it? *shrug* Don't know!

"Viking" is actually a verb. The Norsemen went "viking" when they went on a raid.
Yes, I know. But I'm quoting this from the story, which is in the article:

At that time England was full of Picts, Scots, Druids, Angles, Saxons, Vikings, Stonehenges, wet weather and various kinds of kings...
This is a fairly accurate summary of England after the Romans leave (i.e. roughly 410 AD).

I'm not sure about the difference between the Picts and the Scots - if memory serves, the Picts were lowlanders and the Scots were highlanders. ;) Never mind.

I'm not sure there were Druids at the time, either. But there were certainly no Vikings! *LOL* The Vikings wouldn't come along until 793 A.D. :) Then again, this is for kids.

As for "Stonehenges" - I thought there was only one Stonehenge? I've heard there were henges made of wood, and henges made of stone (those are "stone henges", i.e. two words). Where did the others come from?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The Scoti tribe moved from Ireland to what is now Scotland. The Picts were the original tribe in that area.

Most of the Druids were wiped out by the Romans on the island of Anglesey in north Wales.

Stonehenge is the most famous of the stone henges, but there are many groups of standing stones that are henges, just without the ring of stones on top of the standing ones.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Rath the Picts were the indigenous people and there were no Picts in England.
the below statement is wrong
At that time England was full of Picts, Scots(,we had not started invading them yet) Druids, Angles, Saxons, Vikings, Stonehenges, wet weather and various kinds of kings..(.total :poop: information.):eek:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
*LOL!* Thanks, Tony and Dug. :)

Dug, I agree it's false. But it's for kids, it's not a history book. ;)

So ... no Picts, Scots, or Druids in England. (I won't even touch on the Vikings). ;) What about the Jutes? I'm pretty sure the Jutes invaded England, along with the Angles and Saxons.

Poor old Jutes. Everyone forgets them. (Aww). ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I was only referring to the Pict's, and it is no wonder kids grow up and are confused about history, they should not put blatant falsehoods in kids books and pretend history ones , well apart from Santa Claus, fairy stories etc.
What about the Visigoths just down the road from A & S's or is it up.:rolleyes:

User Menu

Newsletter