New Daleks

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

What do you think of the new Daleks?

• Love 'em

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're okay. like the old ones better though.

• EXTERMINATE!

• Never liked 'em anyway

• Daleks? What are Daleks?

• Total voters

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Like 'em? hate 'em?
I want to know what you think of the new version of the Daleks.

It didn't take me long to get used to them, but in the first moment I went "NO! what have they done?!"
Quite like them now. Like the older version better though. They looked more sinister.

I thought they were cool. Since they have begun they have been through a few changes. And in a Peter Cushing movie they looked a little like what they did the other day. The old ones were good but these are bigger and their extermination powers are doubled so I thought they fit the bill.
Who's to say something bright yellow can't be scary? La La of the Teletubbies frightens the heck out of me!
:laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Are these what you mean? o_O

I haven't seen any of the new Dr Who yet. I'd say they look fine. The Cybermen have changed over the years as has the Tardis - so why not the Daleks too?

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Meerkat said:
I grew up with the originals. It was brilliant to know they couldn't climb stairs.
But they could levitate/fly/hover in the Peter Cushing films. They could also travel underwater. And I'm pretty certain that they came in different colours as well during the sixties (this might also just be in the movie versions and not the tv series, or it might just be my memory playing tricks on me).

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
On TV they certainly had dark 'leader' daleks and the grunts were all silver - of course all the William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton Doctors were in black and white, so we didn't know if the daleks outer armoury had a colour other than shades of grey as such.

I'm afraid I can't remember much about the 2 Peter Cushing films, but I don't think the daleks had lots of colourways. From what I can remember they were metallic, which for a race who abandoned emotion is exactly right of course.

I voted the second.
They certainly have more power now. Before i reckoned the only thing a dalek could do was drive you crazy from listening to them, but now they are super-smart, with day-glo colours( :eek: ) and flying abilities.

Mind you, the cybermen changing is ok. Before, they were just cardboard boxes with kitchen foil. In some you could see the foam inside! :laugh:
My least favourite doctor is the first. He is really boring and has a really, really puckish sense of humour. And bad sense of timing.

If you look carefully, you can see the mark of the different directors. The latest one is into all the romantic stuff :x Nto that hats a bad thing, but its just not doctor who

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Is that David Tennant? Or Matt Smith Ponder? o_O

I think you may mean DT as he was the one batting his admittedly lovely eyelashes at Rose and Mme Pompidou and Matron etc. :laugh:

Matt Smith's Dr. seems so far to be a bit passionate about the science/ethics and not so much the lovey dovey with the companions. It takes a while to get used to new Doctors but I think eccentric works best for him so MS should work out OK I think. I liked the DT Doctor but I agree he ideally shouldn't really go around falling for people quite so much as all that - that's Capn Jack Harkness's bag and he's much better at it! :twisted:

Not sure. I dont bother with the director's names, i just see their style.
The doctor i mean is the one from the north(well, lots of planets have norths, dont they? :laugh: ) Dunno his name.
My fave is Tom Baker. Love the eyes :laugh:
And the newer ones have more humour, too, which i like.

I really meant about Rose falling in love with Jack Harkness, like you said. And the lovey-dovey bit with her dad, but thats understandable.
My friend said that Cap'n Jack gets reincarnated as the Face of Bo :eek:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Re FoB - not for a very long time and not really reincarnation

I think you must mean Christopher Eccleston. He's the first of the New Doctors. Tom Baker was brilliant as the 4th Doctor. Chris I liked a lot and wished he'd stayed on to develop his version as he's the only one who's gone for the 'last of the timelords' thing properly. I think that's why some people didn't like his interpretation as his story started not long after his race were 'removed from reality' and had the Doctor in shock and grief for the loss of his entire race. :cry:

As for the companions/assistants - assistants are better as the Doctor should not strictly be given to much of the lovey dovey stuff although he had a grand-daughter. The classic doc's never 'looked' at their sidekicks as romantic liaison material (which was a problem for older fans with the David Tennant Who) even if like Sarah Jane they had feelings for him - it was always a paternal/auvuncular deal on the Doc's side even when the sidekicks were time lords too (Romana with Tom Baker)

User Menu

Newsletter