SPOILERS New from behind the screen clips of Good Omens

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait...!!! ;)

Any idea if Armageddon is coming to the Antipodes? Us Aussies would like to be damned, too. (And yes, Death - before you say "I BELIEVE YOU ALREADY ARE", we know we are - what with all the spiders and snakes and cuddly-koalas-aka-dropbears-that-can-rip-us-to-shreds and such. Not to mention those damn kangaroos that can eat us for breakfast!) ;)

The Trailer is brilliant. I love the shot of the Bentley about to be on fire. I love the two demons and their exchange - "Times are changing"; "They're coming to an end for a start." :) I remember that one from the book, and the radio show that gave Neil and Terry a cameo. :)

I'm sorry, I'm rambling ... I've been working through this week on an average of about 5 hours of sleep a night, and I'm exhaus---- zzzzzz.

Wshfx? Wha? Oh. Right. Good Omens. Can't say enough good things about it. Go see it. Seriously.

Did I say I can't wait? Oh, right... right, right. Can't w--- zzzzz...

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait...!!! ;)

Any idea if Armageddon is coming to the Antipodes? Us Aussies would like to be damned, too. (And yes, Death - before you say "I BELIEVE YOU ALREADY ARE", we know we are - what with all the spiders and snakes and cuddly-koalas-aka-dropbears-that-can-rip-us-to-shreds and such. Not to mention those damn kangaroos that can eat us for breakfast!) ;)

The Trailer is brilliant. I love the shot of the Bentley about to be on fire. I love the two demons and their exchange - "Times are changing"; "They're coming to an end for a start." :) I remember that one from the book, and the radio show that gave Neil and Terry a cameo. :)

I'm sorry, I'm rambling ... I've been working through this week on an average of about 5 hours of sleep a night, and I'm exhaus---- zzzzzz.

Wshfx? Wha? Oh. Right. Good Omens. Can't say enough good things about it. Go see it. Seriously.

Did I say I can't wait? Oh, right... right, right. Can't w--- zzzzz...
May the 31st on Amazon prime.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Sorry, Tony - I wasn't aware of that GIF. I thought it was something official, or something.

Also, I've been surviving for the past few days on less than 5 hours of sleep a night and no tea. :coffee: These kinds of mistakes are made when you're sleep-and-caffeine-deprived! :mrgreen:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
No need to over-analyse everything, Rath.
I'll think you'll find there is every need, Tony!

How else shall we determine the precise role of broccoli in the Apocalypse? Analyse away Rath, see if you find out what pineapples are up to as well (bleurgh!).

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Broccoli, like cabbage, is poisonous to poultry. It contains a substance that blocks thyroid function even when sufficient iodine is present.

"Feeds containing goitrogenic agents include soybean, flax, rapeseed, kale, cabbage, broccoli, and turnips."
source: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm029

For concerned poultry owners: cooking the vegetables slightly weakens the chemical effect, but it should still only be used in moderation.

It's also bad for dogs. (I know, who feeds cabbage to dogs? the answer is, some people do.)

https://moderndogmagazine.com/articles/can-dogs-eat-cabbage/37975

"though raw cabbage is perfectly fine in smaller quantities, it does contain a natural compound called thiocyanate which suppresses the thyroid gland and over time can create hypothyroidism if regularly feeding large amounts. If you lightly cook the cabbage then you deactivate the thiocyanate, so cooking the cabbage is advisable if feeding regularly in larger quantities. You have to eat a lot of raw cabbage over multiple days to create the hypothyroidism but it can be done, so cooking and/or moderation is key."

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/season8/lettuce/greens.htm

"However, if you continue to cook the leaves and these nutrients, the nutrients themselves, or some of them, can begin to break down. Bad things can happen. See, when isothiocyanates cook enough, they form very strong flavors and even stronger smells in the air. In fact, that stinky, rotten egg smell that comes out of greens all too often can be toxic in large amounts. In fact, it was synthesized and turned into a biological warfare agent used in World War I called mustard gas."

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Ugh! Who boils cabbage to the point of it turning yellow? :(

<CabbageGollum>We likes our cabbage ... rrrrraw and wrrrrrrrrrriggling!</CabbageGollum> :devil:

Seriously, if I buy some cabbage and cut me a slice, I wash off the nasties in cold water, and eat it then and there. It's a very nutritious snack, and also a great way to cool down in summer. ;)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Obviously broccoli and cabbage and all the rest are food for demons! Um, present company excepted, of course. Seriously, I hope you wash it very carefully. There have been some medical issues with unwashed raw cabbage. Crowley and Aziraphale probably both disclaim the practice of over-boiling as "not ours".

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I learned that Michael Sheen, who is from Port Talbot in South Wales, has paid for the security of the Banksy mural that appeared on a Port Talbot wall. I went to visit the mural while I was in Port Talbot and was amused that it has now been covered with clear PVC sheeting and a full time security guard has been posted along with a caravan for him to sit in. The mural has already been sold, but there are plans for it to be there for a while yet. Banksy in Port Talbot

Last edited:

User Menu

Newsletter