New Mort animated film by Disney!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

polythenegirl

Lance-Corporal
Sep 6, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Do you not think its more possible now with Tim Burton on board with Disney? Its a vey Burton-esque adaptation.

P.S. i'm at work so can't read a lot of the links so apologies if I am way way off track with this

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Tonyblack said:
It's the merchandising that bothers me. Maybe we really will get a My Little Binky playset. :eek:

Or McDonalds doing a Curry Mac as a Happy Meal. :eek:
Wouldn't mind a deaths domain doll house though :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Disney is Pixar and Pixar is Disney however much they might not have liked that at first. With the Brothers Grimm and their nephew gone now, the full-on Disney treacle ethic's over and Eisner doesn't much care what his director/producers do so long as the $$ keep coming, so why complain with such a large reputation and mostly pockets to match behind you...? Tolkien sold both TH and LotR to them (tax bill! :laugh: ) and they chose to pass up and sell on in the end, so they're not the power-trippers they were and know when something's beyond them. :rolleyes:

Burton never gets that far from Disney although he's talented, stylish and successful enough to dictate what he does and how he does it - the original article mentions the Black Cauldron - look at the credits :twisted: That was his first major animation project... ;)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Jan Van Quirm said:
Disney is Pixar and Pixar is Disney however much they might not have liked that at first. With the Brothers Grimm and their nephew gone now, the full-on Disney treacle ethic's over and Eisner doesn't much care what his director/producers do so long as the $$ keep coming, so why complain with such a large reputation and mostly pockets to match behind you...? Tolkien sold both TH and LotR to them (tax bill! :laugh: ) and they chose to pass up and sell on in the end, so they're not the power-trippers they were and know when something's beyond them. :rolleyes:

Burton never gets that far from Disney although he's talented, stylish and successful enough to dictate what he does and how he does it - the original article mentions the Black Cauldron - look at the credits :twisted: That was his first major animation project... ;)
Didn't know that about Burton.

Always liked the Black Cauldron.

All we can really do is wait and hope.

Might even let david jason do one of the voices :laugh:

ramtopsman

Lance-Corporal
Aug 19, 2010
manchester
www.youtube.com
OH NO THEY DIDNT lol

Ive already started animating mort =[

DAM YOU DISNEY DAMMMMMMM YOU

:(

Ehhhhhh well if they are making it as a musical esk film thats gonna ruin it then mine will be better because mine is to the Play by Stephen briggs ;)

overhawk

Nov 1, 2010
Bouncy Castle said:
If Disney get their hands on it, quite frankly I can't imagine that the finished product will bear any relation to the book.

:rolleyes:
The Black Cauldron was pretty faithful to the Book of three if I remember correctly. Didn't really have anything to do with the Black Cauldron, but by that logic they could call it Mort and base it off a different book like Reaper Man 8)

overhawk

Nov 1, 2010
Jan Van Quirm said:
It's being done by John Musker, and Ron Clements the guys that did:
The Great Mouse Detective, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, and Treasure Planet. All of these films were loose adaptions of something.
By the way Blue sky Disney posted an update to the story @
http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/11/mort-info.html
The plot of the book is discussed though so there might be spoilers for those who have not read Mort.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
overhawk said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
It's being done by John Musker, and Ron Clements the guys that did:
The Great Mouse Detective, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, and Treasure Planet. All of these films were loose adaptions of something.
By the way Blue sky Disney posted an update to the story @
http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/11/mort-info.html
The plot of the book is discussed though so there might be spoilers for those who have not read Mort.
Or summarise the whole book maybe :laugh:

It is funny watching people who haven't read the books speculating on the story.

Death as a villain. :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
overhawk said:
pip said:
[
Even if that’s what that person believes the movie Hercules had Hades as a villain and he is basically the Greek version of the Devil :eek:
Hades was just the brother who drew the short straw. He's certainly not as evil as the devil.
He oversees a shadow realm rather than a type of hell.
The greek equivalent is Tartarus were people are punished such as Tantalus etc. They've villainised Hades slightly unfairly. :laugh:

overhawk

Nov 1, 2010
pip said:
overhawk said:
pip said:
[
Even if that’s what that person believes the movie Hercules had Hades as a villain and he is basically the Greek version of the Devil :eek:
Hades was just the brother who drew the short straw. He's certainly not as evil as the devil.
The greek equivalent is Tartarus were people are punished such as Tantalus etc. They've villainised Hades slightly unfairly. :laugh:
My bad, so he is the equivalent of Death then is what you’re saying, except with more pathos? o_O

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
overhawk said:
pip said:
overhawk said:
pip said:
[
My bad, so he is the equivalent of Death then is what you’re saying, except with more pathos? o_O
Nope . That was Thanatos. Hades was in charge of the region of the dead but not the moment as Death in discworld is.

polythenegirl

Lance-Corporal
Sep 6, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Okay so not Burton but still not a bad combination. If its going to be Disney its never going to be as satirical and dark and it could be and in the absence of Burton those 2 don't seem bad choices. all of those Disney films I like :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter