Night Watch Cover

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 12, 2008
St Helens
to the best of my knowledge i got
1 henry the hampster
4 carcer
6 sweeper/lu tze
7 vetinari
8 reg shoe
13 horace nancyball
14 Dai dickens
15 ned coates (i think)
16 findthee swing
18 Nobby nobbs
19 Billy wiglet
20 Old vimes
21 fred colon
22 Young vimes
23 snouty

RACKU

Lance-Constable
Aug 15, 2008
Australia
Ooh, the irony :laugh: I've just started this one. And I have no idea how all you do it, but you seem to know your characters better then me ;P

by the way, when we are talking Night Watch, I think there is an error on p. 215 of my Corgi paperback

The riot was what happens when you have panicking people trapped between idiots on horseback and other idiots shouting 'yeah, right!" and trying to push forward, and the whole thing in the charge of a fool advised by a maniac with a steel rule.

Should there be "steel ruler"? (i. e. steel ruler of Findthee Swing (see p. 166) being the maniac - with lord Winder as fool)

I am sorry if you already had discussed it on some other forum ;)

RACKU

Lance-Constable
Aug 15, 2008
Australia
Thanks, Tonyblack. I didn't get half of the characters you all numbered until I went a bit further in the book today :p Sounds like you got them all right.

TheMole, I believe rule is still the correct term xD Just another name for ruler, really. I think this gets into really tight areas of the English language :]

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'd agree with that Mole - 'rule' or 'ruler' can be used to describe onof those long straight things with numbers on.

Here's one of the definitions of 'rule' from an online dictionary. :)

"measuring stick consisting of a strip of wood or metal or plastic with a straight edge that is used for drawing straight lines and measuring lengths"
Ruler is generally used more often, but rule is also correct.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Happy to help - and as to errors - Thud! is full of them! :devil: I was lucky enough to get hold of an advance reading copy and hoped that the problems would be put right in the final edition, but no such luck. :(

User Menu

Newsletter