Now this is a surprise

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Is it a surprise, though? In 1995, the internet was only starting to become available to the masses. Cast your minds back: there wasn't much around the internet in 1995. Search engines like Yahoo! and Alta Vista ruled the roost. The Simpsons was the only animated series that adults (as well as kids!) could enjoy. Forums were only in their infancy, and newsgroups like alt.fan.pratchett were in their heyday. In 1995, the internet definitely was in its halcyon days as far as accuracy, authority and reliability were concerned. But those days were not to last, as Terry accurately predicted and Bill couldn't see.

Besides, to be fair to Bill, the internet and internet security were never his - or Microsoft's - strong suit. (I'm sure we all know that!) ;)

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I'm not so sure that things have really changed that much when pre-internet, people read the newspapers depending on their own political bias and accepted whatever they said as truth. All they have really done is carry that bias over to the internet in the sites they read (for example, I absolutely refuse to go on a Trump supporting page on FB).

What the internet has also done is to increase the ability and availability for fact-checking the newspapers and various claims on the internet. Sadly, not everyone does this and many don't even know how. I don't have children but maybe this is something that should be taught in computer studies at schools, if it isn't already being done.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Ah, well ... tempora mutantur, et nos mutanur in illis.

I'm also glad that bastard Zuckerberg no longer has his tentacles into Snopes. But then, if Snopes isn't fact-checking for Facebook, wouldn't that make FB even more of a "fake-news channel"?

I'm particularly concerned because some people seem to get their news from Facebook, so if FB isn't fact-checked by a trustworthy source like Snopes, wouldn't that mean even more people will be misinformed - grossly so - and to the detriment of us all? :(

The anti-vaxing crowd is an example of what I refer to...

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Facebook was never intended to be a news channel. It is a place where people post pictures of their dinner, of their pets, and of their prejudices. It's essentially a Rupert Murdoch publication without his having to pay anybody.

I liked Snopes' old format. The new one is ...too full of formatting. I find it difficult to use.
I first got on the Internet in 1995. I remember the comments about Eternal September.
But Simpsons wasn't the only adult-oriented cartoon! I still think Dangermouse was better.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes, I agree that The Simpsons wasn't the only adult-oriented cartoon. But Danger Mouse ran from 1981 to 1992, so by 1995 it was too late ;)

(Also, I had no idea about DM when it aired in 1981, because I was only 5 years old and the TV didn't air it for me. ;) I only 'found' DM after the 2015 re-boot).

Anyway, back on topic! :) FB was never intended to be a sewer, either, with all the horrible people sharing racist ideas and centuries-old propaganda. But that seems like what FB is at the moment. :(

User Menu

Newsletter