Odd factoid that made me wonder and snicker

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

baruch menachem

Lance-Constable
Mar 26, 2009
I was watching the bonus stuff to the Wyrd Sisters cartoon ( I need to order that book. I think Magrat is wonderful) and they mentioned that Terry was born and grew up in Beaconsfield. Not really all that important, lots of people do. But I was startled because I associate the name with a guy who moved into the place when he was kind of old. He got his start writing speculative fiction, was sort of like Vetinari in his estimation of the human animal (but was far more of a voluptuary) and his level of cynicism. And also like Vetinari in his level of pragmatic patriotism when most of his contemporaries were interested in the Ronnie Rust version.

Anyway, it was an interesting and odd connection, and given Pratchett's views of statecraft, strangely apt.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just Googled the town out of curiosity and was amazed at the list of people who resided there at one time or another.

Enid Blyton, writer
Edmund Burke, statesman
G. K. Chesterton, writer
Beverley Craven, singer
Benjamin Disraeli, prime minister 1868, 1874-1880
Robert Frost, poet
Barry Gibb, Bee Gees singer
Dame Wendy Hiller, actress
David Jackman, poet
Angelina Jolie, actress
Albert Ernest Kitson, geologist and naturalist
Anne Main, politician
Airey Neave, politician
Martin O'Connor, accordionist
Sir Gore Ouseley, ambassador, orientalist, high sherriff of Buckinghamshire
Swaraj Paul, business magnate and philanthropist
Terry Pratchett, writer
Alison Uttley, writer
Edmund Waller, poet

Full article here. :)

baruch menachem

Lance-Constable
Mar 26, 2009
Something else funny...

A town has officially twinned itself with Discworld. They even have streets with the same names, like Treacle Mine Road and Peach Pie Street.

And the mayor of the place is named Winder.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
baruch menachem said:
the name of the town is Winconton, and there is an article about it on the first page of the website here.
I think Tiffany already knew that. ;)

Wincanton was officially twinned with Ankh-Morpork a few years back largely due to a store (The Discworld Emporium) owned by Bernard Pearson (The Cunning Artificer) in the High Street there. Several times a year, Discworld fans go there to meet and have fun (a lot of alcohol is generally used). :laugh:

As to the street names - this is planned, but hasn't actually happened yet - as far as I know, the houses haven't even been built yet. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
baruch menachem said:
But what got me was that the Mayor's name was Winder.
You know, I don't know this for certain, but I've met Colin Winder - he was the mayor and a Pratchett fan and got a lot done for the twinning of the town with A-M - he also takes an active part at the events.

I'm wondering if it's a coincidence or whether Terry named his character for Colin. I can certainly imagine Colin getting a big kick out of being Psychotic Lord Winder. :laugh:

Terry has inserted several 'real' people into the books, sometimes because they are friends or fans that he knows and sometimes because they have bid for a part in a charity auction. Sandra Battye and Andy Hancock are two 'real' people that spring to mind. But others include Waddy, Sane Alex and Hodgesarrgggh. :)

I simply love Sandra Battye " I Do Crochet! " . Having just finished Night Watch today, (second time through) and love the bit where Rosemary Palm could not make up her mind whether or not to have a talk with the girl and then she felt jealousy about the fact that Ms. Battye was starting to make More money than she was. :twisted:

And poor HodgesAargggh, ya gotta love him.

User Menu

Newsletter