Pat Harkin - Master Genius!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I shamelessly Feegled this from the Cunning Artificer's site. ;)

Many of you - especially if you've attended a Discworld event - will know Dr Pat Harkin - aka the bloke that does the auctions.

Well he's going to be on BBC2's 'Genius' program next Monday night at 10.00pm. Here's a clip of Pat in action with Dave Gorman, Russell Howard and Hazel Irvine.

Sharp eyed viewers may have seen Pat as an extra in Going Postal and The Colour of Magic.

His daughter is the lead singer of the excellent group Sky Larkin. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Don't say that - she'll sulk! :laugh:

It's a traditional audience participation thingie Bouncy - he had cause once to say 'duck' for some odd reason (Mad Collector or Tony may know why) and ever since the audience 'quack' at him when he's MCing the Maskerade ;)

Baas were introduced into the equation this year but I can't quite remember why... :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The tradition used to be that there'd be a really, really heavy object for sale at the auction that Pat would hold up and people would then make bids of around 20p to stretch things out and make him suffer trying to hold the thing up. :laugh:

Not sure where the 'quack' thing came from though. o_O

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
At a previous Con during the auction Pat said that we were all sitting ducks to be aimed at with choice items of Discworld memorabilia, to which someone responded with a quack and everyone else joined in. This year it got really surreal as any passing vaguely animal reference he made was greeted with the appropriate sound until in the end he deliberately said shrimp to see what noise we would come up with. We did have sheep, seals, cats and a couple of others. I think he is dreading 2012 :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Bouncy Castle said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/F1951566?thread=7785296

Is Mr Harkin "the lecturer from Leeds" ?
Yes, that's Pat. He can also been seen (if you have keen eyesight) in the Colour of Magic and Going Postal TV shows.

User Menu

Newsletter