Petition to cancel Good Omens

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
AmazonPrime and Netflix appear to have twitter subscriptions; they responded. Netflix said 'ok we promise not to make any more'. AmazonPrime said 'hey Netflix, we'll cancel Stranger Things if you'll cancel Good Omens.'

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
=Tamar ... LOL! (Unfortunately, the "laugh" icon looks like someone is shouting). :(

As for the point of this thread ... :rolleyes: Oh, dear. The stupidity. :rolleyes:

Please wake me up when the Bible-bashers stop screaming incoherently. Thank you. :)

I think we should also make a distinction here between the majority of Christians (who are normally kind, sensible people) and the type of Christians who would create and sign a petition like this. :rolleyes:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The particular group is well-known for their peculiar petitions. One of their recent ones was against blasphemous ice cream.* As of Thursday evening, the petition was first amended to name Amazon, and then taken down.

*I wonder... ice cream appears in the miniseries... Nah, probably not that brand.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
LOL! Dug, I know that meme, and I never saw more than one or two episodes of "Father Ted". ;) Channel 7 took it down because, apparently, they considered too risque for Aussie TV, even at a timeslot of 9:30pm. :rolleyes:

=Tamar ... blasphemous ice-cream? :rolleyes: I shudder to think ... what were they referring to, and how can a bar of ice-cream commit blasphemy?

Tony, I agree. Weren't Terry (and Ian, and Jack) getting at exactly this crowd when they wrote "The Science of Discworld IV"?

I'd swear this crowd is getting dumber. I was only 12 when "The Last Temptation of Christ" was made, so most of the controversy around it went over my head, but now that I've read about it, at least the religious hullabaloo around that film makes sense to me. (Of course, all the religious hullabaloo around "The Life of Brian" was severely flawed). But this ...? An ice-cream bar that commits "blasphemy" and a film that "makes satanism look fun."

Dear, oh dear. It reminds me of an anecdote ... I can't remember if this is accurate, but IIRC, this happened after Gustave Flaubert published "Madame Bovary". The French literary establishment took it very hard indeed, and some even went so far as to burn copies of the book. Flaubert, however, took it philosophically. When someone asked him what he thought, he said: "Presumably, they put my book on the pyre because they are unable to do the same to me." ;)

Last edited:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Catch-up, it's an ice-cream shop with locations in Canada. The only one in the US is in BWI Airport in Baltimore, MD. Here's a report about the protest from the NY Times. From the report, it seems like the backlash against it comes mainly from Catholics.

One of the claims is that the company's brand (particularly replacing the "s" in "Jesus" with a lightning bolt) is reminiscent of the lightning bolt in Hitler's SS. If you look at them, side by side, you can see this claim is a nonsense. Still, a noisy protest and an appeal to emotions will always get more attention than the facts... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I think we should also make a distinction here between the majority of Christians (who are normally kind, sensible people) and the type of Christians who would create and sign a petition like this. :rolleyes:
You and I have very different experiences of the majority of Christians!

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Oh? *curious* Possibly we do. Most Christians I've dealt with, in my corner of Australia, have been - on the whole - moderate, kind and sensible. What's your experience been, Dotsie? Now I'm curious.
Obviously, I cannot speak for Dotsie but in my part of the world the Christians you speak off seem to be in a minority. The ones I have met from that minority do seem to be genuinely nice people, though, and do tend to put their money where their mouths are by doing a lot of voluntary work (including working with orphans in foreign parts). They also tend not to shout their 'holiness' from the rooftops either.

Unfortunately, most that I encounter fall into the 'holier than thou' category. One great example was a lady who had her eyesight restored after a successful cataracts operation. Husband posted on FB thanking God for this 'miracle' followed by over fifty replies all thanking God. Not one of them praised the surgeons, doctors, nursing staff, or any other member of the hospital staff for that matter. Maybe they should have left the priest to do the operation with prayer! (I got into a lot of trouble for diplomatically pointing this ingratitude out to them and their replies were most unchristian indeed.)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Aha ... FB. Well, I think I made my feelings about the Zuck abomination pretty clear on this thread and elsewhere, so. *shrug* Unfortunately, Facebook allows worse people in - worse even than the above Grammy award winners. :(

That may be why I spoke of a "majority" of Christians as nice people - because my only experience of them has been in real life, not on Facebook! *LOL* I'm sure that there are lots of people, on FB and elsewhere, who dedicate their time to making sure that no-one else has any fun. (And it's not just the holier-than-thou Christians, unfortunately).

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Aha ... FB. Well, I think I made my feelings about the Zuck abomination pretty clear on this thread and elsewhere, so. *shrug* Unfortunately, Facebook allows worse people in - worse even than the above Grammy award winners. :(

That may be why I spoke of a "majority" of Christians as nice people - because my only experience of them has been in real life, not on Facebook! *LOL* I'm sure that there are lots of people, on FB and elsewhere, who dedicate their time to making sure that no-one else has any fun. (And it's not just the holier-than-thou Christians, unfortunately).
I know the FB person in real life as well and most of my experiences come from in person than FB, I'm sorry to say. :(

User Menu

Newsletter