Polanski's Macbeth

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

captainmeme

Lance-Corporal
Feb 13, 2011
Nearish Manchester
www.bbc.co.uk
Hey, I've just been watching Macbeth by Roman Polanski in English, and I was wondering whether anyone else has watched it and what they thought of it. It was a very interestining film (in my opinion) but a bit over the top with the violence.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I also remember watching it in high school (we were studying Macbeth, although I actually got the movie from my local video store). It was...somewhat eye-opening. :eek:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Quatermass said:
I also remember watching it in high school (we were studying Macbeth, although I actually got the movie from my local video store). It was...somewhat eye-opening. :eek:
No movie can compare with seeing Macbeth performed in the theatre... more atmospheric....

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
deldaisy said:
Quatermass said:
No movie can compare with seeing Macbeth performed in the theatre... more atmospheric....
I've not seen that many performances in the theatre. A couple of them were in high school. The Importance of Being Earnest and Mrs Warren's Profession were forgettable, as far as I, the teenaged Quatermass, was concerned, although I did like The Merchant of Venice.

However, I have also seen a decently done performance of Maskerade done at a Gold Coast theatre, a rather more hard to praise performance of Spamalot at another theatre on the Gold Coast (I had issues more with Spamalot itself rather than the actors' performances), and a surprisingly entertaining pantomime of Jack and the Beanstalk in Bath. I watched it mostly because Colin Baker was in it, and (I know I've said this before) you haven't heard anything until you heard him sing Time Warp from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

BTW, nice Mr Bean Avatar, Del.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I thought this was a great production of Macbeth, but I would disagree that plays always have to be seen in the theatre to be at their best. There are some great film adaptations, and some crappy ones, just as there are theatre productions (and you can watch the films again). There was a tv adaptation on over christmas that was really good, can't remember the director though.

Polanski's wife was killed shortly before this film, which probably explains it's darker tone.

User Menu

Newsletter