Pre-Carpe Jugulum Comment

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
(I never actually finished reading Thud again :( )

I've just finished reading Carpe Jugulum and put LOTS of highlights pen marks all over my paperback copy. :twisted:

Have you spotted the geographical error? :laugh:

I also have a cunning theory to explain how TP thought up the Igor character. 8)

The Nac Mac Feegles are also a completely different clan to the Tiffany Feegles. :p

HollyOgg

Lance-Constable
Mar 27, 2010
England
Oooh, explain the Igor theory! And the Nac Mac Feegles are good, but I prefer Tiffany's clan. My boyfriend recently read Carpe Jugulum, and he thoroughly agrees that having your left sock stolen is incredibly annoying!

HollyOgg

Lance-Constable
Mar 27, 2010
England
poohcarrot said:
Can't explain the Igor theory until we start. It's related to a 1960s comedian though. :laugh:

Holly, can you see your boyfriend's reflection? :laugh:
...and how does he know it's his left sock? :eek:
Hahaha, can absolutely see his reflection - he spends more time in front of it than me!
And as for the socks, well, let's just say he's rather particular about his belongings... Lol :laugh:

HollyOgg

Lance-Constable
Mar 27, 2010
England
Haha, pretty sure, although he does like his steak rare... Hm. May have to subject him to intense questioning with garlic and crosses. Could be fun!

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
(I've just finished reading Carpe Jugulum and put LOTS of highlights pen marks all over my paperback copy. :twisted:
I also have a cunning theory to explain how TP thought up the Igor character. 8)
I'm listening to the Nigel Planer version. Does that count? Hard to highlight an MP3, and I'm DEFINITELY not gonna mark up the Kirby copy I paid an arm and a leg to import.

Would your Igor theory have something do with a certain wild-eyed British comedian who walked this way while crossing brooks?

:laugh:

J-I-B

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
raisindot said:
Would your Igor theory have something do with a certain wild-eyed British comedian who walked this way while crossing brooks?
J-I-B
:rolleyes: That would have been a bit obvious, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Absolutely nowhere even close! :laugh:

And as far as Josh Kirby paperbacks, I have all of them up to 5th Nellie when I started buying HBs. Every one of them is tatty and dog-eared through over-reading, so highlighting lines ain't going to make a scrap of difference to their value, which is zero. 8)

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
In the sixties there was a British comidian called Freddy Parrot-Face Davies. His whole act was making the "s" sound like "th". This is the only video of him I could find on youtube, but you can get a rough idea of what he was like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07lPjhAMk50

He talked like I imagine Igor to talk and his catchphrase was "I'm thick, thick, thick up to hear."

On page 261 of the Josh Kirby paperback, Igor says, "I'm thick up to here with this lot."

A coincidence?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Interesting - and of course I remember Parrot-Face. But isn't it equally possible that Terry actively looks for phrases with 'S' in when he writes Igors? If he'd said: 'I'm fed up with this lot' it wouldn't have seemed so Igorish.

I know it's artistic interpretation, but Stephen Briggs' version of Igors on the audiobooks sounds very different to Parrot-Face.

Freddy used to talk more with a razz to the 'S' than a 'TH' sound. But you could be right - nothing would surprise me with Terry's references. :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
In the sixties there was a British comidian called Freddy Parrot-Face Davies. His whole act was making the "s" sound like "th". This is the only video of him I could find on youtube, but you can get a rough idea of what he was like.
A coincidence?
Parrot Face was not even close to being the first to do the "making the s sounds like th" thing. It was a staple of vaudeville routines and was probalby most popularized by Mel Blanc's voicings of Daffy Duck ("Thuffering Thuoccatash!", "You're dethpicable!") in Warner Brothers Looney Tunes cartoons.

The Igor in my head is much more of a composite of the traditional Universal Studios Igor played by Bela Lugosi in "Son of Frankenstein" (although this character did not lisp) and Marty Feldman's Igor in "Young Frankenstein," combined with Bobby Boris Pickett's talk-singing on the 1962 hit, "Monster Mash," although the narrator doesn't really lisp is not Igor (the Igor mentioned in the song is chained to a wall).

The genius of Pterry's reinvention of Igors is that they almost instantly establish a definitive culturally historical interpretation for the Igor that doesn't really exist. I simply can't imagine any Igor NOT sounding or acting like Pterry's Igors.

:)

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter