Pride And Prejudice

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

shelke

Lance-Constable
Jul 8, 2010
Pride and Prejudice is a novel by Jane Austen. First published in 1813, as her second novel, she started it in 1796 as her first persevering effort for publication. She finished the original manuscript by 1797 in Steventon, Hampshire, where she lived with her parents and siblings in the town rectory. Austen originally called the story First Impressions, but it was never published under that title; instead, she made extensive revisions to the manuscript, then retitled and eventually published it as Pride and Prejudice. In renaming the novel, Austen may have had in mind the final chapter of Fanny Burney's Cecilia, itself called "Pride and Prejudice" and where the phrase appears three times in block capitals. (She may also have been concerned that the original title might be confused with other works.)

The story follows the main character Elizabeth Bennet as she deals with issues of manners, upbringing, moral rightness, education and marriage in her aristocratic society of early 19th century England. Elizabeth is the second eldest of five daughters of a country gentleman landed in the fictional town of Meryton in Hertfordshire, not far from London.

Though the story's setting is uniquely turn of the 19th century, it retains a fascination for modern readers, continuing near the top of lists of 'most loved books' such as the Big Read. It still receives considerable attention from literary critics. This modern interest has resulted in a number of dramatic adaptations and an abundance of novels and stories imitating Austen's memorable characters or themes.

To date, the book has sold some 20 million copies worldwide

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
If Jane Austen was alive today she'd be Nora Ephron only much, much better - she'd have Hollywood on it's knees begging her to write screenplays or direct! The woman was an utter genius at people watching and even though she never married her characterisations were nothing short of brilliant. She's right up there with Tolkien and Terry as an author for me. :laugh:

If they'd only had typewriters invented back then she'd have written much more than the 6 fully finished novels to her credits and although they're possibly a little 'samey' on the surface, the messages they give out are still relevant today. I love her to bits for showing that 19th C women were very much not shrinking violets (well maybe not Fanny Price) and could think for themselves :laugh:

Tonyblack said:
I've never read this one - it's one that I plan to get around to one of these days - but when that will be, I have no idea. :laugh:

;)

Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorites... I know it almost by heart... :oops: The movie (with Keira Knightly, but the series with Colin Firth is also very good) is one of my favorite films, one I always play on the background when I've nothing to do... ;)

Jan 1, 2010
I've read Pride and Prejudice and various other Austens but they don't grab me in the way other books do and I've no desire to reread them

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Never read the book but I did see the Red Dwarf episode where I think Lister,Rimmer and the Cat were trying to score with the Girls and Kryten turned up with a Tank to demand they return to the Ship for Dinner!!
I assume the episode is closely based on the Book! :eek:

Or Not!!!!! :laugh:

I've read most of Pride & Predjudice & Zombies >.>

mspanners said:
Never read the book but I did see the Red Dwarf episode where I think Lister,Rimmer and the Cat were trying to score with the Girls and Kryten turned up with a Tank to demand they return to the Ship for Dinner!!
I assume the episode is closely based on the Book! :eek:

Or Not!!!!! :laugh:
"I didn't know robots got PMT.."
:laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I couldn't put this book down, I've read it loads. Lizzie Bennet is one of my favourite characters, I can completely identify with her shooting her mouth off then regretting it :oops: As for JA's other characters, I admit that Fanny Price seems annoying at first but the irony is that she's a healthy intelligent woman who's at the mercy of her relatives charity. It annoys me that she never speaks up, although she's not as pathetic as she appears. Emma drove me mad but by the end I quite warmed to her, and Anne Elliot was just a lovely delicate flower who needed to flirt a bit more, so she could have avoided a very long and complicated romance!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Dotsie said:
As for JA's other characters, I admit that Fanny Price seems annoying at first but the irony is that she's a healthy intelligent woman who's at the mercy of her relatives charity. It annoys me that she never speaks up, although she's not as pathetic as she appears. Emma drove me mad but by the end I quite warmed to her, and Anne Elliot was just a lovely delicate flower who needed to flirt a bit more, so she could have avoided a very long and complicated romance!
Poor Fanny - she gets a bad press and she does come across as this passive little person who won't defend herself. Different times and as you say she was a victim of her social position. I think the bit in Portsmouth is where I finally stop getting exasperated with her because of how she befriends Susan and together they start sorting out their parents dysfunctional household and then the whole family.

Mansfield Park's a very even-handed book in that respect 'cos all 3 sisters fail their families in some respect, especially Lady Bertram and, like Jane observed, the vile cow aka Mrs Norris would have made a more 'respectable' mother of umpty umph kiddies with her mania for saving the pennies, although I doubt she'd have had that many kids with the tongue on her, as Mr Price would probably have found a way to stay on the ships instead of coming home! :p

I haven't seen the 2005 P&P movie, but the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth adaptation was pretty good, although she was perhaps a little too - erm 'statuesque' to be this nimble little temptress :p The cast was excellent though and I loved Alison Steadman as Mummy Bennett.

Jan Van Quirm said:
Dotsie said:
As for JA's other characters, I admit that Fanny Price seems annoying at first but the irony is that she's a healthy intelligent woman who's at the mercy of her relatives charity. It annoys me that she never speaks up, although she's not as pathetic as she appears. Emma drove me mad but by the end I quite warmed to her, and Anne Elliot was just a lovely delicate flower who needed to flirt a bit more, so she could have avoided a very long and complicated romance!
Poor Fanny - she gets a bad press and she does come across as this passive little person who won't defend herself. Different times and as you say she was a victim of her social position. I think the bit in Portsmouth is where I finally stop getting exasperated with her because of how she befriends Susan and together they start sorting out their parents dysfunctional household and then the whole.

Mansfield Park's a very even-handed book in that respect 'cos all 3 sisters fail their families in some respect, especially Lady Bertram and, like Jane observed, the vile cow aka Mrs Norris would have made a more 'respectable' mother of umpty umph kiddies with her mania for saving the pennies, although I doubt she'd have had that many kids with the tongue on her, as Mr Price would probably have found a way to stay on the ships instead of coming home! :p

I haven't seen the 2005 P&P movie, but the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth adaptation was pretty good, although she was perhaps a little too - erm 'statuesque' to be this nimble little temptress :p The cast was excellent though and I loved Alison Steadman as Mummy Bennett.
Despite being 'brought up' being told the JE/CF was the best, I think 2005 outdoes in every way apart from Mr Wickham.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Can't stand the 2005 version. I thought they captured nothing of the delicacy of the time. The Bennets were not up to their armpits in pigshit, and Lizzie and Mr Darcy did not nearly snog in the rain whilst arguing! I seem to remember Lydia being better than the BBC one though.

ETA Of course, neither is a patch on the one that runs in my head when I'm reading it.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
michelanCello said:
Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorites... I know it almost by heart... :oops: The movie (with Keira Knightly, but the series with Colin Firth is also very good) is one of my favorite films, one I always play on the background when I've nothing to do... ;)
Mine too, book or T.V. series.
Colin Firth, Cor!

He is gorgeous. :oops: :)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
mC said:
I can't put the picture of Colin Firth out of my mind as Bridget Jones' boyfriend... (mind you, he's Mr Darcy there too)
:laugh: The series came before the Jones movies. Colin Firth HAD to be cast as Mark Darcy - in the books Bridget had a HUGE crush on Colin Firth as Darcy and even went to interview him in Italy! That bit got left out of the film of course. ;)

There's an age gap thing here I think but there's one thing that makes me not want to see the 2005 movie, namely Keira Knightley who's hopelessly overrated although you could never accuse of her of being 'statuesque' except in height (skinny ribs that she is) so physically she's OK. Colin Firth's had the advantage of playing Darcy over several weeks which is why people remember his portrayal so favourably - he really got the Darcy sneer off pat, better even than Lord Olivier's but then he was labouring under a 1940 Hollywood screenplay so stinky that his one expression during that whole film was like someone with interminable indigestion. :laugh:

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
michelanCello said:
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I prefer Matthew Macfadyen as Mr. Darcy... maybe it's because I can't put the picture of Colin Firth out of my mind as Bridget Jones' boyfriend... (mind you, he's Mr Darcy there too)
You could also say the same about Colin in Mama Mia, where he played Harry the possible Father of Sophie. But I still think he's gorgeous. He is my idea of Mr. Darcy. :laugh:

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Having posted that, Elliot Cowan in Lost In Austen was a good Darcy as well.
Colin is still my first love, though I thought Lost In Austen was a brilliant idea for a T.V. modern plus period drama.

User Menu

Newsletter