Pride And Prejudice

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

matrim

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2010
Beijing, China
P&P is on the top of the recommended book list for English learners in China. My first English novel was it, but my experience was somewhat disastrous. Stumbling along the lines, I had great difficulty in understanding the plot, let alone enjoying it. It’s not the vocabulary that troubled me, but rather the syntax, and her way of thinking, which seemed too remote to me then. After some easier reads, like Hemingway and Wilde, my English gradually improved and I began to appreciate P&P. So I think it's definitely not an ideal book for English beginners.

Despite JA's keen observation and witty satire, sometimes I'm still slightly annoyed by her style-a bit redundant for my liking. Recently I've downloaded a huge JA audiobook collection (more than 17 G, each novel has multiple versions) and have just finished S&S (narrated by Susan Harker, who portrayed Jane in 95 P&P mini series). :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
She was so lovely as Jane! That series really was well cast although physically Jennfier Ehle was a little too well-built :laugh:

The thing with JA is that her writing style does need to be seen in context - she was writing over 200 years ago after all, but the actual content is classic and ageless. I have this theory that if she'd been born into this modern world she would be a hugely successful screen writer and director - comedy probably but she's thoroughly human in her plotting and depth is so well-textured I'm sure she could do more serious pieces as well. :laugh:

matrim

Lance-Constable
Nov 24, 2010
Beijing, China
Some think Jane in 95 P&P as not beautiful as the book depicts, but I like her quiet elegance and her feature reminds me of a kind of Grecian beauty. I've heard some rumors that in order to look like girls at that time, JE intentionally put on some weight. Don't know if it's true though. :laugh:

I know to judge her style one must consider the background of the time, but even then I feel her style is a bit too refined. I'm no expert on literary style, yet I'm more comfortable reading Gibbon than Austen, even though his period was more distant. As to your theory about her success, I totally agree with you.

User Menu

Newsletter